• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Suite Very Slow on Brand New DELL XPS 15

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I recently bought a DELL XPS 15 mainly to work on projects and 3D modeling. One of the major programs I'll be using are Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, but it seems like I'm having some issues with the suite.

Fans are always very high (especially when I'm plugged) and graphic acceleration doesn't seem to be working properly: InDesign is very slow even moving simple text in the frame, compared to my old iMac (2010) that is still rocking quite well.

What could it be?

Computer Specs

NVidia GTX 1650 4GB

Intel i7-9750H

16GB RAM

Few other details:

This is my InDesign version: 15.0.1 x64

I've also discovered that InDesign can't run GPU Acceleration (on Mac it's enabled by deafault) which means that I won't be able to use my dedicated graphic card while running the program. Fair enough for me, as I think the integrated Intel HD 630 might work fine as well. 
The problem remains: InDesign is still very luggy and definitely worse than on my 10-years old iMac or another low-spec laptop.

Here's a video showing some issues I'm having with Illustrator:

https://streamable.com/vhlgy

As you can see it's very laggy.

Topics

TOPICS
Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GeForce usage issues also depend on NVIDIA drivers, so make sure you are using the latest driver.
The Mac version of InDesign uses a GPU, but the Windows version does not currently use it, so there are differences in specifications.
It seems that the Mac version is used as a performance improvement in consideration of the degradation due to Retina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I discovered unfortunately that InDesign on Windows doesn't support GPU acceleration.

Is it a problem? Not really, as soon as I also have a second GPU from Intel (HD630) which might be supported. I mean: I'm pretty sure that the program should be working fine also using the CPU only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even if you don't use the GPU with the Windows version of InDesign, I don't think it will affect performance.
It will not be an application that affects the drawing process so much compared to Photoshop and Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines