• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying Update 8 to FrameMaker 2019 Fails

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a valid license for FrameMaker 2019. I want to apply Update 8. Whether I install inside FM via Help -> ...Updates or locally with the downloaded update file, the update proces fails with this error:

Update required
Your browser or operating system is no longer supported. You may need to install the latest updates to your operating system. Learn more

The Learn More page takes me here
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/update-operating-system-and-browser.html

I tried every step in the document and I am still unable to apply the update. The past two hours, I installed IE 11, even though I updated to Edge and set IE requests to use Edge long ago. Applied every patch Microsoft had for my laptop (Windows 10 21H1), reset compatibility mode in IE and forced via policy then reran gepedit.msc /force, also set IE as the default browser for everything I do, added registry keys for FrameMaker as well as the standard Adobe products cited in the document link above. Rebooted about six times during the ordeal. Nothing works. Stunned that for this product, it's so hard to do a simple update procedure. Perhaps the displayed upgrade dialog is inaccurately displayed, shadowing nother issue?

Any input would be appreciated.

2021-07-17_06h16_48.png2021-07-17_06h18_07.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you are currently running 15.0.5. Can you install Update 6 or Update 7 on your machine?

If not, you would likely be able to install if you had the Win version active when Update 8 was released.

To me, it sounds like another resource + current Win version is blocking the Update 8 from being installed.

**Do you have another machine onto which you can load v15? 

**Can you install the 30-day trial of Fm 2020 (v16)?

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Matt. Updates 6 and 7 generated the same error. I attempted to re-install Upate 5 which also failed. Traveling this weekend. I'll get back to my office Tuesday and then attempt with a vm a fresh v15 and v16 to see what happens. Appreciate the thoughts and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another easy check is to rename your 15 directory in the Roaming > Adobe > FrameMaker directory to something like 15-old. That effectively resets preferences. It might not do anything, but it does rule out one low-percentage problem with little effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It seems that also others have this issue.
The Adobe engineering team is looking into this issue.

When there are any news, they will post it here.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, now is the last day of September and still no solution posted.... unbelievable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoooo! That worked for me! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I can gather, it looks like Adobe has deprecated some feature in their activation servers that the older installer versions still include - so if you reinstall an older release, it no longer can "talk" properly with the new system - thus the manual mucking around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff,

5 Stars for you!

Me and my collegues, looked for a solution for several weeks now. The keyword "Internet Explorer 10"  I never had in mind as Internet Explorer Version 11 had been installed long time ago and the error message asks for updates of Version 11. 

Thanks!!! Your link points to the solution.

From what I can gather, it looks like Adobe has deprecated some feature in their activation servers that the older installer versions still include - so if you reinstall an older release, it no longer can "talk" properly with the new system - thus the manual mucking around.

By @Jeff_Coatsworth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also getting this issue and the suggestions in the document provided in the reply marked "correct" do not work for me.

I am running FrameMaker 15.0.5.838 and get the Update required dialog when I select Help > Updates.

I have two colleagues with the same problem. Are there any other solutions we could try?

cheers, T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried any of the "in between" updates? 

Perhaps .06 or .07 will install, and then allow you to update to 16.08 from there

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which of the 3 solutions they provide on that page have you tried? If none of them worked then you need the FM Support folks' help - see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#framemaker for your Adobe Support options. I'd recommend using the tcssup@adobe.com e-mail address as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The page seems to be written for somebody who is getting this error trying to install a new copy of FrameMaker, rather than somebody trying to update an existing installation through the Help > Updates menu.

Nevertheless I downloaded AASIapp.exe, checked it was newer than the one already in P7, copied it into the directory, and retried; same error (solution 1)

I edited the registry keys; AASIapp.exe already existed with the expected value, but I added Set-up.exe, and retried; same error (solution 2)

I started to do solution 3: I downloaded setupfx.zip and extracted it. Yes I have a Set-up.exe now but it's not clear what "the one you downloaded in the  previous step" refers to here, and I wasn't prepared to just run the executable to see what happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No it also applies to anyone doing updates on older versions - the updates do a "phone-home" action that's no longer supported on Adobe's end. Send the FM folks an e-mail at that address I mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines