Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker jumping back while scrolling

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks,

lately, FrameMaker has started to act weird (yes, even weirder than usual), on my colleague's and my laptop. This is what happens: when I scroll through a document, either with mouse wheel or PgUp/PgDn, FrameMaker will randomly jump back to the previous page. Sometimes that's just mildly irritating, sometimes outright annoying, when I'm doing some more delicate text editing.

AFAIK there hasn't been an update which could've caused the issue. Could it be down to some checkbox we ticked accidentaly, or some other setting that has crept into our template?

Thanks in advance for your support,

Alex

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

Which FrameMaker version do you have? Do you have the latest update?

Does FrameMaker jump back to the insertion mark? Or to another place?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

latest update (v16.01.), and it only started recently. It does kinda jump back to certain paragraphs/headings, but I couldn't make out a real pattern. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It also does that when I go through the document using the PgUp/PgDn keys, moving the cursor through the document. Sometims, FrameMaker will just jump back to a heading or paragraph on the previous page or even the page before that. There are no messed up formattings, cross references, or anything else at these points. That's why we're pretty stumped here atm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One pattern to check: when it jumps back, does it jump back to a page containing a graphic? Does the graphics have callouts added to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've watched this happen to my students in classes for years. It seems to me that Fm is hopping back to the page with the insertion point. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barb Binder thanks. Good to know we're not alone. 😉

@frameexpert1 I'll keep an eye out to see if it's related to graphics. One thing I can say for sure though is that it does not necessarily jump back to graphics in particular.

I'll try to narrow the issue down with your feedback, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution, or rather, the cause: it's the new navigation window. As soon as I open it, and even if I close it again afterwards, FrameMaker will start acting up. The solution is to restart FrameMaker, and not use this feature at all. A shame, really, but it's quite rudimentary still, so not that big of a loss. Thanks again for your support! 🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Basically, it is trying to focus on the corresponding paragraph heading, that's why it is jumping back.

Can you please log a tracker ticket for this. 

Thanks

Nimisha Aggarwal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent an email to two of the developers on the FrameMaker team. Then I come back and see someone asked you to add an item to the Tracker. You can find that here: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/home

Post with the item number once you do, please, so I can vote for this. I have experienced the same issue and did not realize it was tied to the Navigation pane.

I have a bug of my own for the Navigation pane: it won't stay as part of the Workspace even if you save it to a custom one. A workspace reset removes it. (You won't find that bug on the Tracker page, it's part of the beta program.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, I've noticed that bug, too. Anyway, I've logged the issue under this ID: FRMAKER-9832

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This recently began happening on my machine (the past two weeks). Framemaker 2020 Version 16.0.4.1062. I had IT remove and reinstall Framemaker on my machine. But the problem persists. On one chapter in my book, it is stuck on the last page of the book. I cannot select a new page or scroll, or use the previous page arrow.  It always jumps back to that page.  Other chapters, it will keep jumping back to where I started. It is not happening to the other users running the same software in my work area. I added the bug on Adobe. 

Any ideas?

Jason

Bug Id: FRMAKER-12942

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @stixf16 I find that clicking on the text after navigating holds the page in place and it doesn't jump back. But being stuck on one page in the book and not being able to scroll isn't normal. Did you try a MIF wash? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/framemaker/kb/how-to-use-mifwash-utility-in-framemaker.html

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason,

Please start a new thread and do not continue a thread which is several years old.

I have the very same issue and had already reported it in this bug report:

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-12700

(with video)

I had not noticed this behaviour in version 16, but only now in version 17.0.1.

I do not encounter this issue in every file, maybe 30 %? Anyway, very annoying!

No, MIF washing does not help.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Winfried Reng:

On one chapter in my book, it is stuck on the last page of the book. I cannot select a new page or scroll, or use the previous page arrow.

I was suggesting the MIF wash for the document that can't change pages, at all. That's a different issue from the jumping back.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know. MIF washing is always the first measure for anything strange.

Of course I do not know, if my issue is the same as Jason's. It's definitely strange. I also cannot select text across a certain paragraph. However I do not have disconnected pages. And arrow keys and the scroll bar do not work consistently. When I search for something, then often the found text is not the one which I searched for. The insertion mark is somewhere else. All very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to tag onto this old thread! And thanks for the video files and submission. I was able to add the MIF Wash feature and ran it.  I now have .mif and .fm files for each chapter. So I don't screw it up, can you tell me the next step to finish the wash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason,

To do a MIF wash you save as MIF and then save the MIF file again as a regular FM file and continue working with this FM file.

When FrameMaker saves as MIF, it removes any inconsistencies and irregularities which might had existed in the binary FM file.

Good luck.

Best regards, Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the info! So far, the MIF wash fixed the chapter that was sticking on the last page. I'll know more about the jumping around problem as I dig around in the book today. Many thanks!

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines