• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to keep page number of subsequent pages identical?

Participant ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am pitching to write a bilingual manual (English + Hindi) and would like to use Framemaker. The sample pdf of an earlier job shows that the English and Hindi pages are located back to back and their page numbers are identical. I believe that the sample is made in MS Word, which I would like to avoid in favour of Framemaker.

Does Framemaker have a method by which subsequent pages will have the same numbers? Instead of using the page number variable, can we have even pages follow a certain number series and the odd pages follow a different number series?

Regards

Apurva

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

Thanks to doug1120 and Bob Niland (Error 7103) for their help and suggestions.

After some online search, I came across this free utility that does 'comb and mix' of 2 or more PDF files. This allows me to merge the English and Hindi versions on subsequent pages, even the page numbers repeat, as required by the client.

https://pdfsam.org/downloads/​

Regards

Apurva

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to set up two text flows, each on alternating pages, each with their own page numbering variable.  You'd do this on the Master Pages, it think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the displayed page number on the page actually have to be the metadata page number?

if not, use separate master pages for each locale, with basically fake page numbers on them, which are actually auto-numbered paragraph formats (with no content other than the number), and having a series indicator unique to each locale. Use Apply Master Pages.

If the meta page number does have to be the same, that's going to be trickier, and perhaps result in navigation-by-page-number issues in a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to doug1120 and Bob Niland (Error 7103) for their help and suggestions.

After some online search, I came across this free utility that does 'comb and mix' of 2 or more PDF files. This allows me to merge the English and Hindi versions on subsequent pages, even the page numbers repeat, as required by the client.

https://pdfsam.org/downloads/​

Regards

Apurva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines