• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index not updating in my FM book

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added my index back into my book file after it was deleted but the index doesn't update with the book. I believe this an easy fix. Any help? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Hi Lisa:

Lists (i.e., TOC, LOF,  LOT, Index, etc.) need to be added with the correct command in the Insert menu. For an index, use Insert > Standard Index and not Insert > Files (or the corresponding button or shortcut). This allows FrameMaker to generate a file that it will update when you update your book. Note that the FrameMaker-generated files have a different color icon from the user-generated files.

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 1.39.46 PM.png

To recover from the situation you are describing, just remove the index you added manua

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC that means that FM doesn't think it's a generated index (IX) file. The easy way around that is to let it generate an index file, exit out of FM, rename the FM-generated index & then rename your index file to match the generated one. Start FM again & update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lisa:

Lists (i.e., TOC, LOF,  LOT, Index, etc.) need to be added with the correct command in the Insert menu. For an index, use Insert > Standard Index and not Insert > Files (or the corresponding button or shortcut). This allows FrameMaker to generate a file that it will update when you update your book. Note that the FrameMaker-generated files have a different color icon from the user-generated files.

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 1.39.46 PM.png

To recover from the situation you are describing, just remove the index you added manually from the book window by clicking. the trash can button on the book toolbar (this removes the file from the book but not your hard drive). Then make sure the index file is still in the same folder on your hard drive as your book. As long as it is in the same folder as the book, and it has the expected name (bookname+suffix.fm), when you add the index back in correctly (with Insert > Standard Index), Fm will see it, use it and will update correctly moving forward.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barb - that did it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great news, Lisa. Glad you are back on track. 😊

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines