• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to suppress the cross reference in a generated file?

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a list of paragraphs, and would like to have the <$paratext> as cross referenced, but the resulting tabstop  . . . . and <$pagenum> not generate the link. I thought I had seen a building block that would accomplish this, but have not been able to find it.

I thought of trying a work around with multiple run in paragraph tags, but I only have the one paragraph tag to generate the final <$pagenum>, so run in paragraph would cause issues.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Ok, so you want to display the tab leader and #, but not have it part of the hyperlink.

If adding a character tag to the <$paratext> building block doesn't do it (and I don't expect it to), then I think you're out of luck.

Just out of curiosity, what's driving the decision to omit the hyperlink on the tab and #?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to remove the tab leader and page number from a generated list of paragraphs?

To do that, you would delete the tab and the <$pagenum> from the paragraph entry on the LOP reference page.

If that's not what you're trying to do, can you describe further or provide a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm after is a list that shows:

<$paratext>. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <$paranum>

However, I only want the <$paratext> to generate the cross reference to the section in the book. I don't want to have the . . . . tabstop or <$paranum> as a clickable item in the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, in my example, I meant <$pagenum> not <$paranum>. The only way I can think that it would be possible, is to use two separate paragraph tags to generate each entry. The original headings <$paratext> as a run in paragraph, followed by a tabstop on the reference page, followed by another tag that would generate the <$pagenum> entry for the link. However, I don't have a second paragraph tag that would generate the appropriate page number for the heading. If I use the same tag again, it's a run in and messes up the formatting. I'm thinking possibly putting in a black body tag after that, and trying it out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so you want to display the tab leader and #, but not have it part of the hyperlink.

If adding a character tag to the <$paratext> building block doesn't do it (and I don't expect it to), then I think you're out of luck.

Just out of curiosity, what's driving the decision to omit the hyperlink on the tab and #?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Customer wants it to look a certain way, but doesn't like that the rest of the line shows up as a link. Ideally, both would have the hyperlink removed, but they'd be happy with just the tabstop being non clickable.

I tried using additional paragraph tags in the reference page, but of course since they're not included in the paragraph tags used to generate the list, they don't show up anywhere but on the reference page. Was worth a try.

I was hoping there was some sort of building block that I could add, like a character tag that would remove the functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "look a certain way" are you describing the appearance on the page (at rest) or the appearance when clicked?

A character tag on the text in the reference page (applied to tab and <$pagenum> blocks) can control the appearance at rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's more about the functionality, than the appearance. The line should look something like this, for a heading on page 34:

This is my Heading . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .34

However, functionally, they're only interested in having the "This is my Heading" to be the actual clickable portion of the list. The following leading dots and page number should just be for visual reference. (They wouldn't mind if the page number was also still linked, but it's the leading dots that they don't like to be part of the actual link. I hope that makes sense. We don't use any special character formatting in the list, so changing the appearance isn't really an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shane,

I know this question has been answered, but this thread doesn't seem to contain an explanation for why applying a character format to the first building block makes a difference. Here's a description.

Each entry in a generated file is a separate paragraph that begins with a hypertext marker. That marker defines the destination of the link. The hot text of the link is the marker and all adjacent content in the paragraph that uses the same character format. As soon as you apply a character format, therefore, you terminate the hot text. Your example shows <$paratext> as the only bold part of the paragraph, so setting up the formatting solved the problem. Had you wanted to use the same font throughout, you could have simply applied a format that set all properties to As Is.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Shane,

I do not know, if everything is clear now. Therefore here a short instruction what to do:

1 In the TOC create a character format with everything set to As Is: Open the Character Designer pod and click in the margin of your page (not in any text frame). In the Character Designer pod everything should be set to As Is. Enter a name for your character format, e.g. NoHyperlink.

2 Open the reference page view of your TOC.

3 Go to the page which controls the TOC. In my version it's called TOC.

4 Go to the paragraph with the format which you want to adapt, e.g. Heading1TOC.

It looks something like:

<$paratext>...........................................................<$pagenum>

Apply your character format to the text after <$paratext>. This is the tab and <$pagenum>.

5 Then open the Body page view and update your book.

Now you have still the same appearance, but only the paragraph text is a hyperlink. The tab and the page number are only regular text. The hyperlink extends only until the character format starts.

The concept of the active area is explained in the FrameMaker user guide:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2019/using/using-framemaker-2019/WS053b9687b4c35b125b77180f1...

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then, as Matt said, all you have to do is go into the Reference page and delete the tab and the <$paranum> building block, then regenerate the file. You'll have a list of just the paragraph texts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines