• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pagination: Section not following pagination in book.

Participant ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've posted about this topic before (twice already now). Responders have been successful in helping me previously by either having me right-click the file problem chapter in the book and selecting "continue from previous chapter" or selecting "Don't change page count" when selecting the "pagination" option. Now neither of those work. 

I had to delete a couple of empty pages in a book file. The first file ended at page viii, but I had to delete page vii and viii because they were empty. The next chapter still starts at page ix, and it needs to start at page vii.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1) I open the file. I click Format\Document\Numbering\Chapter tab\Continue numbering from previous chapter in book, click set. That doesn't work. I right-clicked on the file in the book. That didn't do anything

2) Right-click on the file in the book. Select "pagination." Select "Don't Change Page Count". That doesn't work. Open the file and perform the same action. That still doesn't work. 

Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

OK. I was able to figure it out. I "updated the book" (which re-added only only one page to the previous section), then deleted the extra page. In the pagination-problem section, I clicked "continue from previous section" (for some reason it worked this time, and not the last few times I tried this...pretty random), and then applied the correct master pages. A painstaking workaround, and kind of nonsensical, but...whatever... it worked.

It seems like it's a different issue every single time with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You always have to change numbering and pagination in the book and then update the book to take effect.

You have two issues: pagination and numbering.

What you have to do for pagination:

Right-click on a file in the book and select Pagination. Select "Delete Empty Pages" and for the 1st page "Next Available".

In the following file check the Pagination settings. I do not know what you need. Probably either "Next Available" or "Right".

This way empty pages will get deleted after a book update. If a file with "Right" page follows, then the file will end with an empty page.

Then select the file in the book, right-click and select Pagination. Select either "Continue Numbering from Previous Page in Book". Or "First Page Number", probably 1.

Then update the book. Possibly you must experiment so that everything works as you want.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried

Thanks so much. Alas, that did not work. It's still showing the wrong page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just confirming...you are right clicking > Numbering > Page > Continue numbering from Previous chapter in the Book over the file that starts with ix in the book window, right? Not the one that precedes it? And not in the document itself? 

And this is a typo, right? Format\Document\Numbering\Chapter tab\Continue numbering from previous chapter? You need to click the Page tab and not the Chapter tab.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb!

1) Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. In the file that I'm trying to correct the pagination in, and in the book, not the individual file.

2) It actually wasn't a typo (thanks for catching that); I initially tried in chapter tab and it didn't work. I tried again in the page tab and it's still not working. The page still seems to think the previous section/chapter contains the two empty pages I deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I was able to figure it out. I "updated the book" (which re-added only only one page to the previous section), then deleted the extra page. In the pagination-problem section, I clicked "continue from previous section" (for some reason it worked this time, and not the last few times I tried this...pretty random), and then applied the correct master pages. A painstaking workaround, and kind of nonsensical, but...whatever... it worked.

It seems like it's a different issue every single time with FrameMaker. Frustrating. Unfortunately, this source app is what our team is stuck with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I "updated the book" (which re-added only only one page to the previous section), then deleted the extra page. 

I realized you solved this—and Fm has bugs—but not on this particular feature, so I'm still here...

When FrameMaker add pages back in it's because it has been told to. Pagination has two separate commands that will both contribute to Fm adding pages. The first is 1st Page Side—if a chapter is told to start on a Right Page and the chapter before it ends on an odd page, Fm will add a page to the end of the previous chapter, even if that chapter was told to Delete Empty Pages Before Saving and Printing. Is that what is goiong on?

fm.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines