Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

question about tabs stops

Enthusiast ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have imported a Word file into an FM document, so in the ruler at the top I have a lot of tab stops.

To remove all these tab stops, what I have done is : I put my cursor on the first line of the first paragraph and with the mouse I remove manually all the tab stops in the ruler for this line. Then I create a paragraph style. Then I select all the document and apply the created paragraph style to all the document.

Result : all the tab stops are gone in the ruler at the top.

Is it a good way to do it like that ? Or do you know a better way ?

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

In a paragraph where you want to remove tab stops:
Format ▼ Paragraphs › Paragraph Designer /Basic\
☑ Tab Stops
[Edit]
[Delete All]
[Update Style] {to revise all of the same name}
Repeat for all paragraph styles with unwanted tabs.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Meanwhile I have just found another solution :

- select all the document

- in the top ruler double click on a tab stop, and select "delete all".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a paragraph where you want to remove tab stops:
Format ▼ Paragraphs › Paragraph Designer /Basic\
☑ Tab Stops
[Edit]
[Delete All]
[Update Style] {to revise all of the same name}
Repeat for all paragraph styles with unwanted tabs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I have first selected all my document and with your method it worked perfectly on all the document (no more tab stops in the top ruler).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I have first selected all my document and with your method it worked perfectly on all the document (no more tab stops in the top ruler).

Umm, that may also have set all the auot-assigned Styles to match each other in all respects, which is typically undesired, unless step are taken to set the dialogs to [■]As-Is for everything except tabs.

re: Meanwhile I have just found another solution :

That may have just applied an override, and the tabs may reappear if you create any new paras, or update styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frame Maker user's guide is saying : "To delete all tab stops, double-click a tab stop and click Delete All.".

On my FM file it worked, even if after that I add a new paragraph or update style (no more tab stops in the top ruler).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM: "To delete all tab stops, double-click a tab stop and click Delete All.".
Right, but my conjecture is that it just does an override, and does not revise&save all the paragraph formats/style with tabs. If you create a new para in one of those styles, or apply the style to some existing para, the tabs are apt to return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that the tab stop does not display again if : 

- I create a new style

- I update the existing style

- I create a new paragraph

- I do File/import/Format/Template (empty template)

But, I have just noticed that you are right : the tabs stops are back if in the paragraph catalog I choose another FM style (like "normal" by example).

So, what is the solution to remove all the tabs defintively (for all FM styles) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Globally removing them from the existing body text, you have already done, just not from the Paragraph Catalog.

Globally updating only the Tabs properties of all styles, I'm not sure about. If it's possible, I'm sure other contributors here will know how, but they might not check in on the weekend.

But, be sure you really want to do it. Generated lists (e.g. TOC, index) usually rely on tabs to present legibly, and that would extend to any miniTOCs in otherwise normal .fm files. Plus, in any imported file from another DTP or WP, the tabs may have been in normal body text for a reason, such as spacing in bulleted lists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, Bob, I understand. 

In fact, I thought it was possible (only for that document) to update the tab properties in all style. My goal was to remove the tab stops made by Word and add my own tabs stops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile I have just found another solution :

- select all the document

- in the top ruler double click on a tab stop, and select "delete all".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines