• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I update the folder where book files are located?

Participant ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find reference to this question anywhere on the forum, in the online help, or the printed help, so perhaps the answer is so easy that people don't need to ask??

I have moved the location of a book file with regard to it's fm files. So, now that the file names show with the ? icon next to them when I open the book, isn't there a way to tell FrameMaker to look in a different folder instead of adding all of the files again?

Thanks in advance! If there is a way this will make my Friday!

Diane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Diane,

If I understand correctly, you did not move the book components, but only the book file itself. If so, there may be an easy correction. If two files are on the same drive, FrameMaker stores any relationship between them as a relative path. In particular, a book file uses relative pathnames to identify its book components (cross-references between files and text insets are stored the same way). Thus, if all the related files are in difference subdirectories within one directory, you can

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try re-adding just one of them - that might fix the rest; if not, you probably need to repair the paths by re-adding them all again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diane,

If I understand correctly, you did not move the book components, but only the book file itself. If so, there may be an easy correction. If two files are on the same drive, FrameMaker stores any relationship between them as a relative path. In particular, a book file uses relative pathnames to identify its book components (cross-references between files and text insets are stored the same way). Thus, if all the related files are in difference subdirectories within one directory, you can move the parent directory and all the connections will still work.

If you want to move one file, though, there are two ways to do it. You can use a Windows technique such as dragging it from one Windows Explorer window to another, or you can use FrameMaker. If you use a Windows technique, the FrameMaker file is not changed and any links it contains will therefore be broken. However, if you use File > Save As to save the book from within FrameMaker, FrameMaker creates a new file with new links, pointing back to the original book components.

If you moved the book with Windows, therefore, you might be able to move it (still with Windows) back to the original location, open it, and then use Save As to save it in the new location. Once you've confirmed that you have the desired result, you can delete the original file.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh this is great - thank you! So what I did was copy the file back to it's original location and used Save As to put the book file only in the new location. Now when I open it from the new location everything is linked up just as it should be.

Thank you so much! I just love this smart crew of people!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines