• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fresco issues with Illustrator

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me if this is redundant, I couldn't find an answer in my searches.

I've been drawing with vector brush on iPad in fresco, then export it to PDF. Take the file to my desktop and open it in Illustrator.I notice on my line art that there are extra points and lines that weren't visible in the fresco drawing. This happens primarily where I used the trim tool (where I've done a bunch of overlapping hatching and used touch tool/pull for that that light line that trims the excess). It seems when I trim, Fresco doesn't actually delete the excess line, and it doesn't show until I I open in Illustrator.

I've tried using experimental simplify, and to merge all my layers. I've also tried the merge and outline tool in Ilustrator and Path> create outlines, simplify, and clean up. But there seems to be no better way to get rid of these extra vectors without going around and individually selecting them and deleting them, which is very time consuming and I'm afraid I'll miss a point.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there a better way to export/import the files and clean them up??

Thanks!

Kahlil 

TOPICS
Cross-product , Import , Publish & export , Vector Brushes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can now export directly from Fresco to Illustrator Desktop. This might remove some issues which might be created during the export to PDF then how Illustrator opens PDFs.

The second thing to consider is that Vector lines created in Fresco are more like shapes that actual line so when opened in Illustrator they will have external anchor points rather than the central line anchor which would normally be created if done directly in Illustrator with a pen tool. So any sort of manipulation which doesn't entirely remove a section might also create additional anchors in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for responding! I'd love to use the "Open in Illustrator" button, but it doesn't do anything. Possibly because my desktop is a PC? 

I appreciate your explanation, but I think you misunderstood the problem. It has nothing to do with the fact that fresco creates fills not lines. I've create a series of screenshots to better illustrate the problem. It is attached. Here's the explanation for each frame, top to bottom:

1: Create new file in Fresco, draw a circle using a vector brush

2: draw some hatch lines with vector brush that overlap the circle

3: use trim tool (press and pull modifier button and draw with pencil)

4: top hatches trimmed to shape of circle

5: Use trim tool on bottom hatches

6: bottom hatches trimmed to shape of circle

7: export file to pdf

8: open same pdf in illustrator

9:Observe remnants of trimmed lines (technically fills) visible in Illustrator that weren't visible in Fresco 
(NOTE: the red lines were added to screenshot to highlight the problem, the PDF has NOT been edited in Illustrator)

10:More remnants that weren't visible in fresco, red line added afterwards to highlight problem.

11: Choosing direct select tool (arrow touching a Bézier curve) highlights the extra points that were supposed to be deleted using trim tool earlier in example.

Thanks for any help! With this file it would be easy to go around with direct select and delete the offending marks,  but in a more complicated file that could end up very time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fresco to Illustrator Desktop doesn't work on my ipad either. I keep trying to export this vector in any way that I can think of, but if I manage to get the file sent to Illustrator ipad, it comes in as a raster image and destroys the vector. I have no idea how to fix this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @sarahpeller,

Thanks for reaching out. There are some limitations to Fresco's imaging model that you should be aware of. When you merge a vector layer with a non-vector layer, the new combined layer will be converted to a raster layer. This is because layers in Fresco must be either vector or raster, and they cannot have both types of content.

Merging two vector layers will result in a new vector layer. However, if blend modes have been applied to one of the layers, the resulting layer will be rasterized. This is because blend modes are raster effects, and merging those two vector layers will convert the vector layers to raster.

To avoid rasterizing your vector layers, you should avoid merging them with non-vector layers and avoid using blend modes on vector layers.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines