Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[How To] Fresco on Windows - Canvas limitation

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this is a stupid question, but I'm quite new to digital painting. I have a sort of dilemma when setting up a new drawing, I'm always troubled by the same thing, the choice of resolution and size. I usually draw stuff that I intend to print in bigger formats, going at A2 paper size(more or less). But, I saw doing so limits greatly the usability of the app, as with 300 dpi, it has more than 4000 pixels. This concurrently limits the use of specific tools ( the smudge tools get slow, and the live paint just lets me know that I need to lower it to be under 4000, and frankly the app crashes randomly as well). For the info I'm drawing on a Surface Pro 8 the 16 GB model, I'm aware that it isn't the strongest device but I still enjoy drawing on it, and frankly, when I'm in a more limited DPI and canvas size the painting experience is rather enjoyable.

What can I do in this case? Should I start in a lower resolution and heighten it when I decide that a piece is "finished"? Should I just accept my defeat and dream/ print smaller? Is there any trick I do not know?

I did try other apps for painting, but Fresco for me is the best one to be used without a keyboard, with Photoshop, even with the tablet pro pen tool is sort of "fiddly" ...

[Renamed by Mod]

TOPICS
Canvas settings , Device , Live brushes , Performance , Pixel Brushes , Publish & export , Tools , Vector Brushes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be a limitation of the device with the software. I've set up an A2 300ppi. I'm not getting any warnings while using Live Paint and Smudging isn't slowed down.

I'd suggest creating a file size as big as your device can handle and work it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @archiheart,

Thanks for reaching out. As suggested by Sjaani, the allowable document size for Live Brushes content is determined by processing power and the device's ability to allocate memory: 4GB devices (and up) can create 8K documents, and less than 4GB devices are limited to 4K documents. 

For the 2018 and earlier iPads, the maximum document size for Live brushes is 4K. So if you're using a 2017 or 2018 iPad or a first-generation (12.9 or 9.7) iPad Pro, Live Brushes will be disabled in drawings with a width or height greater than 4000.

Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Anubhav Majumder 

I did figure that this might be the cause but I didn't take my device as that "limited" whilst not the most advanced I might've had the certainty that it was reasonably capable.

Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID 9990B06A-6E60-4BC8-A3BB-270499F1B04A
Product ID 00356-06264-78689-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

But my question is, however, what can I do if I wish to create artwork which size surpasses the limitations imposed by Fresco by a large margin I might say?

In my understanding resizing, and post-drawing might cause a loss of quality and since the resolution would surpass the limitations I'd have to accept the mediocre printing quality. Or do I just succumb to the limitations and try to appreciate the smaller sizes I'm left with ? If there is a way to paint in a resolution that Fresco "deems acceptable" and then resize it to any format I'd like to print I'm very much interested.

Best,

Petru

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines