• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible to name layers? (for when thumbnail images are too faint to differentiate from other layers

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently discovered Adobe Fresco and love it so far.

A question for others who create different layers for sketches before doing final inking: I sometimes find it difficult to differentiate the layer thumbnails, especially when the layer only contains a faint sketch outline. I tend to use a lot of layers, and find it a pain to have to open up the various layers to remind myself of the contents. In Procreate, I can name layers but as far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be  way of naming layers in Fresco.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is your workaround?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Debbie

TOPICS
Layers , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Hi Debbie,

I have good news and bad news. The good news is, you can indeed name your layers. Just tap the Layer Properties icon in the toolbar. The bad news is, there's no option to show the layer names in the Layers Panel. The layer names would carry over to Photoshop, so if you opened a file there you'd see it, but in Fresco, there's no expanded Layers view:

56CC6623-42CA-4A6E-ADF7-A03E0146111A.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Debbie,

I have good news and bad news. The good news is, you can indeed name your layers. Just tap the Layer Properties icon in the toolbar. The bad news is, there's no option to show the layer names in the Layers Panel. The layer names would carry over to Photoshop, so if you opened a file there you'd see it, but in Fresco, there's no expanded Layers view:

56CC6623-42CA-4A6E-ADF7-A03E0146111A.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the point of naming layers if there is no way to see the names? I don't mean to be derogatory. Is there some other use for layer names? I used them in Sketch to make it easier to differnetiate the layers more easily since the thumbnails are necessarily small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too would like to see layer names added to the thumbnails. Thank you for all you do. I love the Adobe Suite and Fresco.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They could simply add it below the thumbnail or even have it display when selected by putting the name next to the title of the document. I also believe it would be nice to change the boarder color of each thumbnail so that you could easily tell which group of layers are (such as highlights and shadows for instance). Affinity Photo and Designer allow these features. Overall the design of the toolbars and settings are legit, but these are my only issues with Fresco and it's extremely frustrating to say the least. They really need to update it. If they did I would actually pay for the subscription, this is how frustrating it actually is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - an essential feature really and incredible that it doesn't have this as standard - the content of layers is indecipherable from the thumbnails - having to click on layer properties to see the name is clumsy - needs to be on the thumbnails

obviously not an adobe priority given the age of the posts here going back to august 2020... now everyone Has been forced to use fresco since the January 10 shutdown of adobe sketch maybe it will happen…? Hopeful....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not agree more!! I have never used Fresco before. I decided just to install it today in order to see if it was any good. I work with Photoshop CC 2022 & Autodesk Sketchbook on my laptop, while on my Ipad Pro I use Procreate with my Apple pencil. I was really interested to see if Fresco could be competition for Procreate (which is really the industry Gold Standard for iPad).

In terms of how one works with layers and the creative process and workflow: it is ESSENTIAL that layer thumbnails have visisble names displaying on screen. In a complex and multilayered illustration it is all but impossible to make out what the layer represents if there is no name for each layer!! One is forced to "guess" or start opening and closing the layer properties one by one. Totally ridiculous. Such a function is a standard feature on every single design program I have ever used. Procreate does it perfectly, so in terms of tablet design apps Fresco just doesn't cut it. It's tantamount to buying a new car and there ain't no indicator for petrol - one has to get out and shake the car to try figure out how much petrol one has - he he he he. 

I am rather gobsmacked that this issue was being talked about in 2019 already - and still the app hasn't been updated with this feature almost 2 years later. I mean how difficult can it be to code this? 

Adobe need to understand that they do have a competitive advantage in terms of the ability to create both Raster and Vector design elements with Fresco (really cool), but because there isn't the basic feature of layer thumbnail naming - I think many professional artists and serious amateur artists will get very frustrated.

So come on Adobe! Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too agree. I'm learning Fresco and can't figure out what is in each layer. It's impossible to see. They need text-based assistance just as they have in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue in Jan 2023!! What good is a free program if you can't even see what you're doing!!! C'mon Adobe; you're better than that!!! Fix the issue!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And still an issue in October 2023.

I'm a long time Procreate user, and I thought I'd finally give Fresco a shot. Within a few minutes I realized this will not work for me on this issue alone. Not having visible layer names is a deal killer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines