• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stroke automatically tapers to minimum

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, so I don't know if others have seen this same thing or not, but I've noticed on Fresco when you release off the screen, the line will automatically taper down to zero or whatever your minimum brush size is. I notice it most on the standard hard round variable brush and making quick strokes, but a really good way to replicate it is to turn smoothing all the way up and draw a wavy line. It's only at the END of a stroke, never the beginning, which I guess makes sense given how the computer interprets the touch on the screen.

It looks really bad, because a lot of my lines have these weird triangular tails that don't follow the curve or angle of the stroke. Like, they just sort of veer off into a weird direction and taper into a really severe point. Is there a way to get rid of this, or is it just how Fresco works on the iPad?

I really love Fresco, and I've recommended it to a lot of other artists as an alternative to being tied to their Cintiqs. In fact, a handful of people have actually bought iPads because of the work I've shown them that I've made using Fresco. However, after realizing what's going on with this taper issue, I will probably stop using Fresco and go elsewhere if I can't get this figured out.

Attached image shows what I'm talking about.

TOPICS
Performance , Pixel Brushes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest experimenting with the brush settings to get an effect more like what you're after. One of the settings that has an impact on this behavior is the Taper Mode, which can be set to "Length" or "Velocity." With velocity, the taper will be relative to how fast the pen tip is moving when you lift it up to stop the stroke:

1686E831-4539-489A-ADF6-99A9880880D6.jpeg4863A11F-E512-4A3A-A8A0-D157B9287699.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your suggestion, but it only applies to vector brushes, and they seem to have their own issues that the extra controls don't really address.

Regardless, I don't use vector brushes, and while it seems that the "basic round" vector brush tends to look the best so far, it still doesn't look "right".

I wonder if it's just an iPad thing, since how the stroke acts when you raise the pencil off the screen is just different (in a bad way) from how it acts on a Cintiq. Bummer. I guess I'll just force myself to get used to Procreate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry you having this problem, but I am on an ipad, using the same brushes (not vector) and they work great.  I don't know what the problem is, but I wouldn't give up on fixing it. 

Borrow someone's ipad, if you can, and see how smoothly it can work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying, Lucy. I am on iPad. I know it's not the device's fault because the brushes on Photoshop for iPad don't do this. This leads one to conclude that it's something baked into Fresco. I wish I could just sit down with other iPad users, have them draw stuff, and then be able to stop them and say "LOOK - THERE IT IS!" I feel like a crazy person because it seems like I'm the only one in the world who's noticing this.

It also might be because I only really use basic tools since I'm a storyboard artist. I imagine most Fresco users spend their time with the more interesting sylized brushes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.

I can't believe this is still a problem... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which specific brush are you using, you've said not vector, so that limits it to Pixel brushes as I assume you're not using oil or watercolor.

If I use the Hard Round brush found under basic I get a rounded end at start and finish.

Have you adjusted any of the brush settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my case, it doesn't matter which brush I use. It always happens. It wasn't the case a few updates ago and now it's back.

For context, I'm on a Surface Pro 8, using the Slim Pen 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines