• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Clipping Masks in Fresco

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Fresco 1.8, you can use clipping masks like how you use them in PhotoshopWhen you use a clipping mask, you use the transparency of one layer to control the visibility of another.

To understand Clipping masks better, follow along as we show you how to use the feature in 5 simple steps. 

outcome.png

To get startedyou need a picture to which you would like to see this effect come to life.  

1. Import your image and apply an image mask:

Import the image onto the canvas and create a selection using the Lasso tool. 

> Go to Layer actions and add layer mask.

01-selectiion-and-layer-mask3.gif

>Using Layer actions flatten the mask. 

step 1b.png

2. Add a new layer and use the Paint Bucket tool to fill it with any color of your choiceThis color becomes the background color of the canvas. 

Note: Click and drag the background layer to the bottom. 

3. Create the brush area on a new layer using brush strokes for clipping mask 

(Tip: Try creating multiple areas so that you can keep the one that works best for your image.) 

step 3.png

A: Create the main area: Pixel brushes>Dry media> Soft chalk 

ColorBlack;  Flow: 45%

B: Add Spatter: Live brushes > Watercolour brushes> Wet spatter brush 

ColorBlack;  Flow: 65% 

C: Draw Bamboo stem and leaves: Live brushes > Watercolour brushes> Watercolor wash soft 

ColorBlack;  Flow: 100% 

Note: If you have created patterns/patches on different layers, merge down the final brush layers to create a single patch area. 

4. Keeping the image layer on top of the patch layer, apply a clipping mask. Use the Transform tool to adjust the position and scale the clipped image.

step 4a.gif

step 4b.gif

5. On a new layer, select any bright color and draw bamboo stalks on the image: 

>Bamboo stem and leavesLive brushes> Watercolour brushes> Watercolor wash soft (reduce the size of the brush to draw thin stems) 

>Add clipping mask to the layer. 

>Duplicate the Bamboo layer, apply Linear dodge from Blend mode in Layer properties to the duplicate layer. (You can also explore other blending options to choose what works best for your image)

step 5.png

And there we have it! Your artwork should look like the outcome below:

outcome.png

So let’s get started! Pick your brush and unleash the magic of Fresco. 

For more info on the feature, please see Clipping masks.   

TOPICS
Color , How-to , Import , Layers , Live brushes , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such a great feature that I'm glad to see in this amazing app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great feature. Thank you for sharing so others can learn this great piece of software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How do I undo a clip? I was playing around with masking and accidently exited the app. When I got aback to my art piece it was covered by the mask and I couldnt use the undo button since I accidently exited out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines