• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator Outline View VERY slow!

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bought the new MacBook Pro TouchBar with harddisk and graphics card upgrade, but Illustrator is running slower than on my 2014 MacBook Pro. How can this be? When in outline mode and panning around the document using the hand tool, it's extremely laggy when it should be MORE snappy, no? Anyone else experiencing this? It's extremely frustrating....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

I turned off grids and solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 139 Replies 139
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i respectfully disagree. we have been running 2 monitors since before the millennium but have only had issues beginning to use Illustrator CC 2017 on imac retina 5k, 27", 2017. same monitor setup as was used without issue earlier when we had Illustrator CC 2014 on imac 27", mid 2010.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, add me to this list, outline mode is unusable for me. I've been having this problem ever since upgrading my iMac from a late 2012 one (no problems) to a top specced 2017 iMac 5K.

I'm using Illustrator CC 2018 and the problem is the same whether using Sierra or High Sierra.

My video card is the Radeon Pro 580.

I suspect it is the video card and/or the drivers. Cinema 4D, Flash/Animate are riddled with graphics issues too.

I'm sure you guys here know how it feels, but jeez it is frustrating to upgrade to a brand new computer and have it run worse than the 5 year old one it replaced.

Out of curiosity, we can't manually change video card drivers on macOS can we? We just have to wait for Apple to roll a fixed one into a software update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you guys here know how it feels, but jeez it is frustrating to upgrade to a brand new computer and have it run worse than the 5 year old one it replaced.

Couldn't agree more.

Back to speed on our mbPro w/tb, but working with both the LG4K and the LG5K external display is still a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After many fresh installations, etc: performance now solely depends on window-size, anything below 15" standard-res is fluid, everything bigger than 15" resolution and it gets choppy.

At least Adobe is now officially commenting on this, confirming it's an issue indeed:

Adobe Customer Care on Twitter: "The team is aware of the issue and are tracking volume on it, which...

Please upvote here:

Ilustrator needs to have the option to use Animated Zoom in Outline Mode – Adobe Illustrator Feedbac...

Illustrator doesn't need Animated Zoom in Outline Mode, of course, but GPU-acceleration in all view modes; the latter apparently being mandatory for Animated Zoom in Outline-Mode as well. Please vote!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has confirmed to have started working on the issue, now let's just hope it won't take months to fix:

Ilustrator needs to have the option to use Animated Zoom in Outline Mode – Adobe Illustrator Feedbac...

BTW: Illustrator seems to run super smoothly (even on external displays) when the application is forced to start in non-retina-resolution (finder > Adobe Illustrator CC 2018.app > info). Looks like sh*t, but runs super smoothly. Lets us conclude that it's definitely Adobe who needs to follow-up with some serious pixel-acceleration engineering.

illustrator-low-res.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know.

I dio not have this issue so cannot say this will work, but have an idea for someone to please try. Option Drag a copy of AIGPUSniffer.app file to backup to your desktop, then delete the file from within your app. I have been seeing this .app causes crash reports so have removed with no issues on 1 computer yesterday, but since this issue seems to be related to GPU preview wanted to share.

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 11.09.22 AM.png

Contextual click on the application then choose show package contents.  \Applications\Adobe Illustrator CC 2018\Adobe Illustrator.app\Contents\MacOS\AIGPUSniffer.app

Then start your illustrator app.

If no help you can put back into location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thought! unfortunately i notice no difference with AIGPUSniffer.app in place or not. i quit illustrator application before removing or adding back in. great try though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steffen, you made my Day! I didn’t know the finder option to launch an app in low definition mode. Everything is fast and smooth as it always has been even on the 5k monitor. Cursor is less accurate as the resolution of the system is higher than the displayed resolution but it gives pretty good results on Illustrator with the MBP TB and 5k display.

I think I gonna keep it this way until the bug get fixed by Adobe team. Thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i missed this earlier and had completely forgotten about that little check box in the get info window.

steffenh58012655 : Thank you ! !

Adobe : When will be able to thank you ? ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incredibly frustrating. Just upgraded to an iMac Pro and I can't scroll without experiencing an insane amount of lag. Adobe please resolve this issue, it seems like the problem has been around for months now. I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, even on the iMac Pro? That's very interesting (and utterly frustrating).

omnathAshutoshChaturvedi Can you share any news on the timeframe for resolving this huge issue/bug, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Adobe.

Fix.

Immediately,

This is a huge problem. Makes me want to start shopping around for alternative software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'm going to give Affinity Designer a shot. I'm really disappointed to find out how long this issue has persisted and all the research I've done points to no fix in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what its worth, Affinity Designer is a great piece of software and there is a free trial for 30 days. I'd use it if it worked better with After Effects. I've been using Illustrator for 13 years or so, and it's by far the most buggy piece of software that I use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that Adobe refuses to fix this as they probably blame the problem on Apple or AMD or somebody else?

I'm also starting to look towards Affinity Designer... Really tired of trying to work around the issues in this broken software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same, when ever I go in outline mode....it is super sloooww.

I am updated to the latest version of Ai and it is still lagging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have posted a beta build on out prerelease forum: adobe.ly/1o2SDsg which has the feature of Outline in GPU Preview. This would help to tackle performance issues in high resolution monitors. You are welcome to try out the build and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, works faster, the eGPU support seems to be ok and detected in preference window. Everything seems smoother to me. Outline mode is great and pixel preview seems ok when eGPU’s running.

Personally, I would love to get this prerelease as an official release right now, and to be honest – even if we have to thank your work on that – this update should have been provided a year ago. Those functions are essential and totally unusable for users running recent macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

same problem on my new iMac 5K 2017 (full specs)… Illustrator run very smoothly on GPU-preview but when I switch on Outline mode, everything becomes laggy. Same story with the last update (Mars 12 2018). Outline mode needs GPU-acceleration, it's a fact !!

However, I made some tests : when I rezize my Illustrator's window (under retina resolution I guess), outline view works fine again. Same happen with Safari : when I use Google Maps on fullscreen, it's feels like very slow. But if I resize the window, everything works fine… I'm pretty sure it's the same issue, some softwares stills not optimized for 5K display and have performance issues without help of the GPU.

Adobe, please fix this issues quickly, I work on Illustrator every day and it's so annoying to doesn't have a smooth software with this top-performance kind of hardware…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not about that. A correct vote would be: "Illustrator needs to support the hardware that Apple provides"! I don't care about animated zoom in Outline Mode. I care about the overall speed and performance of Illustrator. The way it USED to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, this thread is exactly about that! Specifically about the OUTLINE MODE — not about general performance. Please read the original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is still unusable slow in outline mode and overprint preview on our brand new iMac Pro 18-Core!

On the other hand Photoshop is super fast.

iMac Pro

2,3 GHz 18-Core Intel Xeon W

64 GB DDR4 ECC 2666 MHz

1 TB SSD

Radeon Pro Vega 64  16 GB HBM2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

High Sierra got an update to 10.13.4 that tinkers with GPU preview. Has anyone tried yet to see if that helps. I do not have the issue myself to be able to test, but wanted to help as this issue has been going on for a long time.

About the macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Update - Apple Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything is a lot better on the internal display by now, but we are pretty sure it's not related to the latest High Sierra 10.13.4 release. Outline-view is still horrible on any external display, be it 4K or 5K – still not working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines