• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator Outline View VERY slow!

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bought the new MacBook Pro TouchBar with harddisk and graphics card upgrade, but Illustrator is running slower than on my 2014 MacBook Pro. How can this be? When in outline mode and panning around the document using the hand tool, it's extremely laggy when it should be MORE snappy, no? Anyone else experiencing this? It's extremely frustrating....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

I turned off grids and solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 139 Replies 139
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Request you to take out a moment and vote for this feature here: Ilustrator needs to have the option to use Animated Zoom in Outline Mode – Adobe Illustrator Feedbac...

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animated zoom in outline mode == GPU acceleration in outline mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct Steffen. At the moment Outline view or any other view mode doesn't use the GPU. Which is making it perform slow.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outline-view surely doesn't use GPU, and there have been many suggestions regarding this months ago (e.g. myself above at 12.04.2017). Which always made me wonder about the recommendations to turn of GPU to see if that fixes the problem; which of course it never did. Apparently this had been a "reported issue" month ago, but without updates:

Can you drop a reliable note about the time frame for this? Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steffen,

I do not have an exact time frame that I can share at the moment. However, I can assure you that, it's one of the high priority items in the list. Will update the moment I get more info on this.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is, of course, not to be taken personally, but:

I am sry, this is just not good enough if you say "Let me try to get a possible time frame on this" just a few posts above and "It seems to be an already reported issue… Will check and update… ASAP" 6 months ago.

This should be THE one "high priority item in the list".

Sry to say this, but this is the worst we have ever experienced with Adobe; a full refund of the entire year wouldn't even begin to square this out. The way Adobe is treating this is a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohmath first of all thank you, as you are one of the most active Adobe staff helping resolve issues.

Can you clarify though, as the issue does not seem to be that Illustrator is not using the GPU, but that something changed somewhere  around CC2017, to  historically stable CPU preview . Anyone in this thread  experience this with 2015?

This thread appears to be all mac replies, and one windows from https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-fe… .

By thy way congrats on CC2018, to me this is the best release Adobe has done in the new millennium.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words. This issue was mainly reported by Mac users using 5k and 7k displays. When I researched about the issue, I found that outline mode does not use GPU and that could be a potential reason for the slow performance. I reported this to the engineering team (link shared)  and asked users to vote so that it could be prioritized.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering: are all high-res retina Mac's affected by poor performance in outline-view? We have actually yet to see Illustrator working smoothly on any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on the graphic card.

My old 13" Macbook Pro runs fine in outline view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it's a retina device? Our non-retina 2012 runs perfectly fine as well…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

And it's a retina device? Our non-retina 2012 runs perfectly fine as well…

Yes, it's a Retina device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ohmnath​ wrote:​

When I researched about the issue, I found that outline mode does not use GPU and that could be a potential reason for the slow performance.

Shouldn't that mean that these machines would've been slow in regular view/mode with GPU Performance turned off? I don't think this seems to be the case here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, without GPU everything is slow: both preview-mode & outline-mode – for us at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

steffenh58012655​:

Sorry I was confusing my experience with my other computer. It's a 2012 MacBook Pro 15" retina. No poor performance there. My brand new iMac is another story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brand new iMac 2017 being slow? Plus: the 15" retina 2012 is blazingly fast in outline mode as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iMac 5K 27 inch (late 2015) 4 GHz Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB, 16 GB RAM, bought in 2017. Old MacBook Pro are fast with external monitor in all modes, I believe also the same applies to the built-in retina screen, but I'd have to test to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't confuse the thread please, the problem is not the retina display is the 5k configuration apparently there is a problem by the interpretation of the software with the hardware or something like that, I'm happy for you I suppose that is question of time for ADOBE team to fix this, is a priority one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, are you referring to CC 2015 19.2.1 or CC 2015.3 20.1.0? Either way, those are all running really slow (for us) with the mbPro 2016 w/tb; our mbPro 2012 though runs every version super smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe. How about not rolling out a lot of new fancy features, and just work hard on fixing the top 3 serious issues instead? This being one of them obviously. There are a lot of creatives out there who rely on this software, and who pay good money for it to work. It is utterly unacceptable that this issue has been going on for so long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit:

Just created a fresh, secondary user-account (admin) with Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 being the only software installed. And bang, everything has been super fast and lag-free as it should be! GPU-preview, regular preview, outline-view (cmd-y): all super snappy! Jaw-dropping.

Reminder: we had already tried this a few month ago, but without results: fresh user, fresh installation even, etc… nothing helped.

In hope to set up a fresh and smoothly working machine, we have then reinstalled the latest High Sierra. Again, with Illustrator CC 2018 being the only additionally installed software. Unfortunately THIS TIME we were back to „incredibly slow“ in regular preview and outline-view (cmd-y). What the heck? Set up a secondary user-account (admin)… and surprise: back to super snappy, again.

SMC-reset, PRAM-reset, file-system set to APFS and fast forward to a couple more fresh High Sierra installations.

Now the second admin-account always installs and runs Illustrator as smoothly as could be. AS LONG as we don't install anything else (anything actually) but Adobe CC. Anything else and Illustrator gets slow.

NOW we are truly out of answers, @adobe : )

Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator CC 2017 on imac retina 5k, 27", 2017 is now running as fast as it did as Illustrator CC 2014 on imac 27", mid 2010, both with 16gb ram. It changed from that astonishingly slow condition after i set main monitor and second monitor to resolutions that apparently work well together... default resolution on both... "Default for display".

... just remembered i had to also change the retina display to low resolution... "2560 x 1440 (low resolution).

Adobe: yes you have a virtual monopoly on graphics software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing KK-CL.

Running more than one monitor has  been a problem since before the new millenium with Adobe and other software. With  large size monitors available nowadays make more sense to run just one monitor, but since people have leftover monitors from previous systems I still see many dual even triple monitor setups on my service calls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeGondek Can only speak for ourselves, of course, but we never had a problem with external displays actually; been running one (or sometimes two) display(s) without any issues at all for many years.

KK-CL 2560 x 1440 instead of retina sounds awful…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines