• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator Outline View VERY slow!

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bought the new MacBook Pro TouchBar with harddisk and graphics card upgrade, but Illustrator is running slower than on my 2014 MacBook Pro. How can this be? When in outline mode and panning around the document using the hand tool, it's extremely laggy when it should be MORE snappy, no? Anyone else experiencing this? It's extremely frustrating....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

I turned off grids and solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 139 Replies 139
Contributor ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are currently suspecting the 460 as well, maybe it's a hardware thing. I'd love to meet someone using one of the Radeon 455 or 450 with a base configuration to compare the performance to, actually contemplated to purchase another model and see if the issues persist. Software is all up to date here, reinstalled 2x—we are definitely (almost) out of options here.

Something that made it slightly better was disabling "automatic graphics switching" > energy > system prefs, but still, it hardly compares to the truly super smooth performance from the latest Illustrator build + our 2012 mbPro + Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only strange thing is the folks chiming in with the same issue on a late 2015 5K iMac. From looking online that's AMD Radeon R9 M380, M390, and M395

andrewthinktiv​ which graphics card does your iMac use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Here's the config:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a) @all: Do you experience issues only within outline mode (cmd+y)? For us outline mode is extremely laggy, but regular mode is only smooth with a rather small number of objects/vectors as well—complex documents that run super smoothly on a late 2012 MBP without graphic acceleration run slow on our 2016 MBP w/ tb.

b) Is anybody with a 2016 MBP w/ tb as happy as before (and if so, which version)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a generic/additional question: does outline mode (cmd+y) make use of GPU-accelartion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU preview dissaperas after the filename if you go into outline view, which leads me to believe that GPU is not involved in outline view. We do get RADEON/AMD visit the Adobeforums here on occasion. That could be a long wait, so may be good to try on their forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to deactivate the GPU Performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As many stated before, deactivating GPU Performance makes it much slower unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same issue... As mention above helps scaling your workspace/interface down.

Specs:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, maxed out MBP 15" Touchbar and LG 5K. Illustrator CC and Photoshop CC very slow compared to my old MBP late 2013. All Views (GPU, CPU, Line) are slower as before. CPU & Line are useless. In Photoshop when switching ON/OFF Layers sometimes Lagtime is 1/2 of a second. Never had this issue with the old MBP.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-23 um 16.27.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  wanted to report that I do NOT have this issue on CC2017 on my home computer which is a Retina iMac, and very similar to many of the other posts.

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 8.14.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the confirmation Mike. This is reported randomly and not with every system. I am still trying to get details on this one from the concerned team. Will update once I get ant information.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MikeGondek Definitely great to hear that it's still working for some with similar specs.

@ohmnath You surely need to figure out what is causing this as there are still a lot of people with huge performance issues. E.g. we have not just reinstalled our OS multiple times and been through remote support as well, but actually just replaced our MBP w/ tb — still there are huge lags, this must be software related (as regular view is fast) and we are looking forward to having this fixed really soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steffen,

I completely agree with you and do understand how it would be impacting the workflow. As mentioned, I've already raised this issue to the concerned team and I am sure they are working on it. Will check with them again to find out any update on this and will post here.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering:

a) Does High Sierra make a difference?

b) Has this issue been resolved for ANYONE here?  Any news, anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my own experience the answer is definitely no. I'm running the latest version of illustrator cc on a '2017' iMac 5K with 3.8GHz Quad-Core i5, 8G of 2400MHz DDR4 memory, Radeon Pro 580 GPU (8GB VRAM), 2TB Fusion Drive with high Sierra. The outline mode (as well as the pixel mode) is barely usable. I think the problem is the rendering engine of illustrator, which in outline mode is not GPU accelerated, and with a 5K monitor it struggles. I'm thinking of switching to an alternative solution, like affinity or sketch. To my own view, the way Adobe is handling this issue is inexcusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mike,

The issue seems to be related very closely to iMacs that are very similar to yours. The difference is that you're running the Radeon R9 M390, and the issue is relevant to those running an iMac 5k (Late 2015) using an R9 M395. As trivial as it sounds, it makes a difference.

Thank you for your input, and I wish the issue didn't exist on such a high end model. I have high hopes, however, and hopefully we'll see a stable release soon!

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sdespins has a M390 and as experiencing this , so seems something in the late 2015 model and a couple of different model of cards are experiencing a slowdown in outline mode.

Closest download I seen on Apple's website was https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1808?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_USoo r but that is for late 2014. Might be best for anyone experiencing this to see id software update has anything especially a graphics or firmware update. This might be one for the Apple Techs and would set up a genius appointment at the apple store if I was experiencing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes the system or program is "getting sick". A little maintenance may be required. SSD disk as the best starting solution of hardware. Optimize the system, do not use problem fonts. We have already discussed how we can improve performance in Illustrator.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

It seems to be an already reported issue. Illustrator performing very slow on iMac 5k and other Mac 5k displays. This issue is already reported to the engineering team and I believe they are working on the same. Will check and update about the same asap.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And by 5K displays, you are also referring to the display of the MacBook Pro Touch Bar? Because it's an issue right here for me and countless other people. Surely this must be something that can be solved software-wise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JOMANI,

I am not certain about the MacBook Pro Touch Bar, will check and get back to you on that. However the one I was talking about involved different 5K displays.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I hope that you will. Just open up Illustrator, draw some basic shapes, switch to outline mode and drag the canvas around. It's slow as f*ck...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Had a word with engineering and they suggest to update the Mac OS to 10.12.5 and Illustrator to 21.1.0 (both the latest versions) and then check if the issue persists. Please share the result so that we can proceed further.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest versions of both Illustrator and Mac OS. The issue persists...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines