• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator Outline View VERY slow!

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bought the new MacBook Pro TouchBar with harddisk and graphics card upgrade, but Illustrator is running slower than on my 2014 MacBook Pro. How can this be? When in outline mode and panning around the document using the hand tool, it's extremely laggy when it should be MORE snappy, no? Anyone else experiencing this? It's extremely frustrating....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

I turned off grids and solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 139 Replies 139
Contributor ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here: already running the latest versions of Illustrator and Mac OS…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same performance with the latest versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated the OS and Ai no improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. Will pass it on to the Engineering team and will check for a possible workaround or a fix, will keep you updated.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Same issue and similar specs here.

Illustrator is driving me nuts, other CC programs are working fine.

In most simple documents the normal view is fine and the outline view is slow and choppy.

In moderately complex documents -with a few artboard and effects (3D extrude and bevel)- both views are extremely slow and choppy, moving a group of objects is sentenced by a 2 sec lag, moving an artboard or zooming brings in the spinning beach ball.

If found that deactivating GPU performance does help a bit in more complex files (less spinning beach ball) but the general handling is still much slower than on a 2013 iMac with half the horsepower.

OS 10.12.5, issue happening in both Illustrator 21.1.0 and 20.0.0

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 1.02.02 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

updated Sierra to latest public Beta 10.12.6 > Same performance issues...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hpennes-ASK  schrieb

Hi all,

updated Sierra to latest public Beta 10.12.6 > Same performance issues...

Did it work better in 10.12.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it did not work any better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, nope.

As I mentionned earlier, on this thread or another adobe illustrator thread for the same issues,
the smaller the screen resolution is, the faster Illustrator is running.

On the 27" Ultrafine 5K, the Outline view is almost unusable and the GPU preview is getting so slow as the document gets more loaded with basic shapes and small effects.

However working On the Cintiq 16 Pro (smaller with less pixels displayed) the soft runs faster on Outline and on GPU preview.

By dragging the Illustrator window from Cintiq display to 5k display, everything goes slow again.

Again my setup :
Hardware : MBP 15" w/ touch bar 2016 (I7 2,9, 16 Gb Radeon 460 4Gb 1Tb)
Software : Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 public beta 2 / Illustrator 21.1
Monitors : Ultrafine 5K & Cintiq PRO 16"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might also add that it's not just Illustrator. Virtually all other Adobe apps are a lot more sluggish and slow on the new MacBook Pro 😕 Is there a thread for that? I mean, it's not just the issue with the Outline Mode in Illustrator... also when doing simple tasks such as creating a new document, the pop-up window for that is kind of slow to launch which just adds to the experience of everything being unresponsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JOMANI  schrieb

I might also add that it's not just Illustrator. Virtually all other Adobe apps are a lot more sluggish and slow on the new MacBook Pro 😕 Is there a thread for that? I mean, it's not just the issue with the Outline Mode in Illustrator... also when doing simple tasks such as creating a new document, the pop-up window for that is kind of slow to launch which just adds to the experience of everything being unresponsive.

You can turn off the new "new document window" in the preferences and use the legacy "new document window".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All!

Just found this thread and couldn't be happier that I'm not alone!  I'm having the exact same issues.  My old iMac had a hard drive failure and I purchased a new iMac at the beginning of the year as a replacement.  Here are my specs as I sit now (had 16 GB RAM originally, I just updated to 32)...

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 2.17.21 PM.png

I LOVED my old iMac and spent YEARS working from home on her (yes, her.  Her name was Karen... my computer wife, Karen.  RIP, Karen).  I built my home business with her (... and my actual wife), but her replacement (named Joan, if you were wondering), is absolutely horrendous.

On paper, Joan should be AT LEAST as great as Karen was (if not better).  But all of Adobe's apps run awfully on her.  If you add a stoke or two to some text, you get the pinwheel for life and don't ever think about trying to look at something in outline view.

I even just (minutes ago) maxed out her RAM thinking that would help and I still have the same issues as everybody else on here.

I saw that they were asking for more input from people, so I wanted to get my two cents in.

ANY help would be fantastic!

-Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Turning off Pixel preview has got it back to how fast it should be. Outline mode still the same slowness though. Trouble is I need pixel preview on to make sure I've got everything lined up properly as I work on the sites.

Wow relieved not just me too, upgraded from a 2010 iMac to the new 2017 iMac both running Sierra and Illustrator is super slow scrolling, zooming etc. Same in Outline mode. On the older system Illustrator said there wasn't enough Graphics Memory but it worked fine. Now I'm trying to explain why my work is taking longer to produce but I'm on a much better machine!! Help!

Photoshop is running super quick, panning and zooming are superb.

Note that I'm on the latest OS and Adobe Apps.

My system:

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 20.39.44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same issue. Has anyone managed to remedy this?

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 8.50.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has been going on since January and wanted to let you know that what I suspect for the beginning this is a driver issue, with GPU. Rolling back you driver could resolve the issue, the problem is that AMD support for posting mac drivers is not very good.

Below is a post from a PC user having a similar issue that they resolved by rolling back the driver.

https://forums.adobe.com/update-advanced-comment.jspa?id=9698532

ADOBE really needs to contact AMD and Nvidia about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the details. This is already a reported issue. I'll go ahead and provide this information as well to the concerned team.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar issues over here too. Scrolling and zooming are really chugging, no matter whether the GPU preview or CPU preview are on, or if it's in outline mode or not. It's actually the same speed in outline mode as when in preview mode.

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 19.40.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Tim,

This thread is about macs that have slow performance in outline mode only. You would best serve yourself and this thread by starting your own post, so we can target and work on your situation in greater detail.

Let us know what you have tried such as resetting your prefs or OOBE, if you are connected to a network, do you save your files with pdf compatible off, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we finally expect regular performance once High Sierra will be released next week? Will it make a difference? Will outline-view ever be as blazingly fast as GPU-Preview again? The previous six month have been a nightmare running Illustrator CC (and other Adobe apps for that matter)—with issues being even worse running it on a 5K Ultrafine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to see that we're not alone as well. Has there been an update regarding this ? We do have the issue here as well on 2 computers: one Mac Pro with the LG 27 inch 5k Screen and on an iMac 27 inch screen 5k as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really interesting for us as we have just been talking about possibly getting an iMac 5k - if it’s not running smoothly on an iMac or Mac Pro, it’s obviously not just related to the macBook Pro w/tb connected to the LG 5k which, after all, might still be a good display..

Has there been an update to CC today?

High Sierra + today’s update of Adobe CC could be the next thing to try.. though there seem to be some issues with High Sierra + CC..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a problem for a while now.

1. Outline mode is extremely slow, I would say almost unusable.

2. Animated Zoom has never been working in outline mode. Which makes a hick-up in the workflow when you switch between outline mode and preview mode.

I have this problem on my new iMac, top specs, High Sierra, Illustrator CC 22.0.0

Same problem on my top spec 2017 MacBook Pro with same setup.

ohmnath – please push this. It should be top prio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. This is already reported with high priority to the development team. I can assure that we are working on and there should be a fix asap.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Om: Please define / narrow down "asap". Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steffen,

I know, this is a long pending issue. Let me try to get a possible time frame on this. Will update accordingly.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines