• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Exporting Image Gets Pixelated

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys, I've been doing the same thing for years, but for some weird reason after the latest update everytime I expert a business card with a 300-350 dpi all logos of any business cards I create is pixelated.

I thought "well, it's just my new macbook pro's amazing resolution that is making it pixelated when I view the exported image"

It turns out after being printed it was a little pixelated. I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong since I've been doing the same for years.

You might say to export as a PDF, I really can't because the company printing the cards only accepts JPEGs with 300-350dpi resolution.

The way I export it is FILE > EXPORT > EXPORT AS

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 10.51.10 AM.png

Here's an example of the latest card after being exported:

businesscard_Front.jpg

My client send me a picture of how it looks after printing:

dee eLandscaping.JPG

And the .AI file open without any pixels since the logo was designed inside Illustrator, as you can see, there's no pixelated images:

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 10.50.33 AM.png

Please, I hope someone can help.

Thank you all!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

The print doesn't show pixels, but the result of halftone screening.

So probably the company is now using different processes than they used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The print doesn't show pixels, but the result of halftone screening.

So probably the company is now using different processes than they used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel it looks just like the exported image, if you look closely at the bottom of the logo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That type of artwork should be submitted to the vendor as vector, not a bitmap jpg. If it must be jpg, the resolution should be much higher, probably minimum 800 ppi. I would suggest hiring a different printing company that will accept native AI files or PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There will still be halftone screening in the printed result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, the halftoning that the vendor is using is too coarse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the thing is, the final result looks exactly like the exported version in JPG.

So I don't think it's a problem with the printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tfruas  wrote

But the thing is, the final result looks exactly like the exported version in JPG.

So I don't think it's a problem with the printing.

Could be true, confirming the old sentiment, "garbage in, garbage out."

the company printing the cards only accepts JPEGs

That's the real problem here. You should never have to rasterize vector graphics to submit them for for print. They should stay vector until they are sent to RIP. Otherwise, there is no point designing in vectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if halftoning is causing the bad result, or is it just bad paper/printing.

You will get halftoning on anti-aliased edges, but I wonder why there is such a big difference in sharpnes in comparable areas.

fuzzy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I forgot to mention on the post when I export something and send it to them on photoshop with the same settings, it works like a charm, I have no problem at all. Do you think it's something I'm doing wrong or a default setting that is weird or something ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution? I'm having the same problem - if I export to a jpg, then it prints pixelated and I can't understand why.

I'm also scaling to multiple sizes... but what I have is an original Illustrator image all vector so I don't understand what I'm doing incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A JPEG is made of pixels. If you export a JPEG, you are 'pixellating' your vector image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand that. Let me be more clear. I'm exporting at 300 DPI. There's absolutely no cause for it to print with easily visible step-blocks (which look like pixellation) instead of smooth lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it only pixellated after printing? What software are you printing from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

300 ppi is good for images. For lineart you want a higher resolution.

Did you turn ant-aliasing on when exporting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes even I am also facing a same issue. But I am facing a lot of problem could one one answer for my question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes even I am also facing a same issue. But I am facing a lot of problem could one one answer for my question

By @Sravanthi24698753mtzy

And the answers in this thread didn't answer your problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did turn on anti-aliasing, and also Scale Strokes and Effects. I created outlines of the text. Put everything together on one layer and scaled it, then exported as a jpg. I placed those into an InDesign Document to run a test print and they looked very pixelated.

I think what happened is that when I scaled it I may have shifted the dimensions by a tiny margin since I didn't have the width and height locked. The original is ever so slightly out of square.

I redid all the files last night, exporting each size as a pdf and a jpg, then ran another test print through InDesign this morning, and they are printing fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sirenicity  wrote

I redid all the files last night, exporting each size as a pdf and a jpg, then ran another test print through InDesign this morning, and they are printing fine now.

PDF should be your choice, it keeps the scalable vector information instead of turning it into fixed pixels as jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines