Hi there,

After the installation of Monterey all EPS are without preview... What can I do

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

I found this working solution on Apple forum.
I tested it and it works great. Please pay attention to copy modfied qlgenerator in Library/QuickLook, NOT in System/Library/QuickLook

1. Copy the "Illustrator.qlgenerator" from "/System/Library/QuickLook" to your desktop or any other folder you have read/write access to.
  2. Open "Illustrator.qlgenerator" by right clicking it and select "Show package contents".
  3. Open "Info.plist" in the "Contents" folder with a text editor.
  4. Find the line "<string>com.adobe.il

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 124 Replies 124
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's worked for all our office macs without a hitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I discovered how to see the preview of files with the extension .eps. Just change the name.eps to name.ai 🙂 I hope to have helped you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing .eps filenames to .ai helps a lot and works seamless.

By @100pk

Well, no.

When you change the filename of the EPS rto AI, that changes nothing whatsoever for InDesign. InDesign will then still place the problematic EPS.

The thing is: Illustrator saves 2 files in one: EPS and AI. Depending on where you use/open/place it, either the EPS or the AI part will be used. InDesign doesn't understand what an AI file is, so it will use the EPS and might get in trouble (most probably while exporting your final PDF for printing, because bad things always happen when you need them least).

Same goes for PDF. Please check out my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpDh8Y7q8yE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you save an Illustrator .ai with pdf-compatability InDesign seamlessly imports them. Try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously not helpful. Graphic Designers use these all thie time and have hundreds of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously not helpful. Graphic Designers use these all thie time and have hundreds of them.

By @mdjett69

You should report that to Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253307271

This is caused by:

macOS Monterey is missing the generator needed to do this. It used to be in `/System/Library/Quicklook` as `EPS.qlgenerator`. Sadly, you can't just copy it over from an existing Catalina installation (I don't have a BigSur handy to try that), as that keeps crashing. Btw. you'd have to put it into `~/Library/Quicklook` as `/System` is not writeable anymore.

I can only assume that Apple had some issues with the generator and thus removed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this working solution on Apple forum.
I tested it and it works great. Please pay attention to copy modfied qlgenerator in Library/QuickLook, NOT in System/Library/QuickLook

1. Copy the "Illustrator.qlgenerator" from "/System/Library/QuickLook" to your desktop or any other folder you have read/write access to.
  2. Open "Illustrator.qlgenerator" by right clicking it and select "Show package contents".
  3. Open "Info.plist" in the "Contents" folder with a text editor.
  4. Find the line "<string>com.adobe.illustrator.ai-image</string>"
  5. Insert "<string>com.adobe.encapsulated-postscript</string>" below it with the same indentation and save the "Info.plist" file.
  6. Copy "Illustrator.qlgenerator" to "/Library/QuickLook"

If you did everything right, you should now have .EPS previews back again. That's a workaround until apple fixes it in the System/Library, hopefully soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. Thanks for posting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked and now i can see .eps icon preview but NOT .ai icon preview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have you noticed your machine freezing up after you made this change? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ma using this solution since two days and I didn't notice any freezing. Did you have a look at the Console?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. I did and it showed QuickLookSatellite as the culprit for numerous crashes. This is why I was asking. After removing, all was good. Perhaps I have a corrupt file that was crashing this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thanks alot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made it all the way to copy the illustrator.qlgenerator back into the Library folder. will not let me? I've tried safe mode, unlocking folders nothing works???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see the note above? ("Please pay attention to copy modified qlgenerator in Library/QuickLook, NOT in System/Library/QuickLook") That might be the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I am also trying to implement this workaround or whatever it is.
Unfortunately I'm already out of luck right at the beginning. My "/System/Library/QuickLook" folder in Monterrey is completely empty, no hidden files either.
Am I doing something completely wrong here or missing something from the description?
Thanks for any advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found yet another workaround solution in case anyone is interested.
It's a plugin originally created for MacOS 15 but it seems to work on Monterrey, too.
No guarantee, of course. I'm in no way a coding guy either, so if you check it and find anything totally not cool in there, please let me/us know. Thanks.

I found it via quicklookplugins.com: https://www.quicklookplugins.com/2007/12/02/eps/ 
This is the direct link to the developer: https://www.eternalstorms.at/utilities/epsqlplg/epsqlplg/download.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like the plugin I recommended above will show eps-file quick looks but at the other hand takes away .ai-file quick look. So it's not really an option.
Maybe it's another workaround for some of you to just use Bridge as a file viewer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a difference between the "/System/Library/QuickLook" and the "/Library/QuickLook" The first one should contain all the qlgenerators the second one should be empty by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I know that. as said, /System/Library/QuickLook is completely empty and the one in my user library doesn't even exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! You just saved me HOURS of randoly opening/closing EPS files looking for the correct one. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked great, thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, however the thumbnails are still not previewing:

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 4.29.40 PM.png       Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 4.29.25 PM.png

Is this a separate issue, and if so, can anyone direct me to a solution to solve the thumbnail issue? 

Thanks,

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines