Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After updating too illustrator cc 2019 its very slow

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Recently I bought a new Mac book pro 10.13.6 High Sierra. I have installed Adobe illustrator cc 2018 and recently I updated it to Illustrator CC 2019.

After updating its Opening a file and saving files are extremely very slow. I feel like I'm working in Illustrator 8. Any solution for this?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

I did have the problem once. It seems that "keep the previous preference" (or whatever it actually says) during updating from the older Illustrator version is the main culprit. But now it runs so well and without having any problems. Here's what I did:

1. Uninstall Illustrator v.23.
  2. Install the earlier version.
    I did try reinstalled the v.23 again, and the problem still occurred. So I installed the earlier version instead (I installed the first CC version, v.17). And then...
  3. Reinstall Illustrator v.23

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 140 Replies 140
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok after reading all the post it seems adobe has forgotten their true professional users and are more interested make small hip and cheap apps for Instagram post.

I have lost a major client after having to work on super slow buggy adobe products.

first I was told the problem is my iMac Pro so decided to clean install then once again illustrator 2019 is keep giving me beach bull spin and auto dragging from left to right hand selecting.

2nd advice was uninstall your wacome so I did. Gone back to using apple Magic Mouse no everything the same. I most have made a record instal and uninstalling in 1 day.

can some one please help, I been looking in to options of moving from adobe, it feels like we are prisoners of major mafi who is no listening any more.

what a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mehdit  schrieb

Ok after reading all the post it seems adobe has forgotten their true professional users and are more interested make small hip and cheap apps for Instagram post.

I have lost a major client after having to work on super slow buggy adobe products.

first I was told the problem is my iMac Pro so decided to clean install then once again illustrator 2019 is keep giving me beach bull spin and auto dragging from left to right hand selecting.

2nd advice was uninstall your wacome so I did. Gone back to using apple Magic Mouse no everything the same. I most have made a record instal and uninstalling in 1 day.

can some one please help, I been looking in to options of moving from adobe, it feels like we are prisoners of major mafi who is no listening any more.

what a shame.

Is the Dication feature turned off in your system?

Is a printer connected and turned on? Illustrator needs a printer?

Where do you save your files?

So you have already contacted Adobe Customer Care?

They can log into your system to check it out.

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“Is the Dication feature turned off in your system?

Is a printer connected and turned on? Illustrator needs a printer?

Where do you save your files?”

This is all completely irrelevant. Adobe’s software performance became unacceptable on many current pro machine after an update (probably GPU related). This is a bug not a feature. It’s not 1995, we shouldn have to unplug our Iomega Zip drives from the SCSI chain to get this stuff to work reliably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/General+ZOD  schrieb

This is all completely irrelevant. Adobe’s software performance became unacceptable on many current pro machine after an update (probably GPU related).

Actually: no.

There has always been an issue with printers being needed

And there has always been an issue with saving files remotely (there's even a technote about that Illustrator support for networks and removable media  and that technote is older than the date suggests)

As for the Dictation feature: It has helped a lot of people to turn it off (most don't need it anyway). But if you don't want to at least try it, that's your decision.

BTW: I'm not staff, just trying to help. If you want to tell the engineers, you will have to use this link: http://illustrator.uservoice.com as they don't read the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are home remedies for software bugs. Anecdotally, some work. I have my own work-arounds. My point is that there are underlying problems that they don’t address. We shouldn’t have to turn off dictation and angle the deflector shields in order to use expensive software. Software that was working just fine untill it recived a very feature light update that broke it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have same known issue or similar wont bore with the details except basically new win10 pc - What seemed a standard routine that i do is a nightmare now.... how I discovered is saving a file as a pdf (in Illustrator latest) which normally would be a file size of KB's turned into MB's. I know, not much to go on but I didnt recall seeing any mention of PDF so figured I would throw it in the pile. However when I recreate same file with effects and text in Indesign and save as a PDF it saves it as Illustrator used to low file size quick and to the point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing some more searches I found what my culprit is or least what I think it is (so really this is probably off-topic on this matter). When saving as a PDF it defaulted to well "Illustrator Default" which for some reason is worthless for what I am doing at the time. Changing it to High Quality or small file size helps. Just curious why it started changing whatever my default preset was at the time when it was saving files correctly and at a decent low file size. From day one and up to now I had never changed the defaults used (had no reason until now). - Good luck to those who are having the issue that this topic is actually about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seemed to have found a simple solution that fixed the sluggishness. In Illustrator prefs, Performance, GPU was selected but Animated Zoom was not selected. When I clicked it on, it fixed my issue. So make sure Animated Zoom is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

This has been winding me up for a while now, while using CC2019 on Mac it felt like everything was working in slow motion, even moving the cursor on a blank page felt laggy, I've finally found the fix. I'm running a Mac Pro (Late 2013) with 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 so its clearly not a machine/ram issue. Eventually I just started unticking preferences that I didn't recognise from older versions.

Preferences > user interface > uncheck 'scale cursor proportionally'

You will see an immediate performance increase on your cursor and throughout illustrator.

hope it helps, cheers, Malcs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any official update on this? I'm on a 2018 macbook pro with GPU performance turned on and Illustrator CC 2019 is performing like a pc from the 90s! Even dragging around a simple box is a chug-fest of low frame rate updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

Any official update on this? I'm on a 2018 macbook pro with GPU performance turned on and Illustrator CC 2019 is performing like a pc from the 90s! Even dragging around a simple box is a chug-fest of low frame rate updates.

Please contact Customer Care and have them check it out. Only they can log in to your computer.

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on Win 10 i5 16gb ram. Even drag simply object works like a move elephant on the road

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in here that the current version of Illustrator (23.0.6) is also very sluggish for me.    It's a bummer.  A real bummer.  

MacPro 12 Core  3.33 Ghz

NVidia GFX 780 3gb

High Sierra 10.13.6

64 GB Ram.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reiterating all of the above complaints. Illustrator CC 2019 on mac is practically unusable. I waste HOURS at work because of these issues. It takes 20 mins to register any kind of effect, cutting/pasting, moving objects with an effect applied, basically anything. Saving looks like a crash and takes forever. But you better take a super long time-out every so often to do it, because if not AI will crash and then you have to spend another 3 hours replacing that 20 mins of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off Speech Dictation fixed it for me too.  Could that be any stranger?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just upgraded to 24.0.2. Still sluggish in every way UNLESS, unless Illustrator boots with the Mac Pro (Catalina; 48 Gb RAM; 12 core; 5,1; 4K monitor).

As long as I use it and don't let it sit for many hours or quit it, It's perfectly fine. But once I quit Illustrator and reboot it WITHOUT also rebooting the system, it's unbelievably slow. MAYBE it's that Adobe apps don't like 4K monitors, because I can move the super slow app to my 2K monitor and it's back to crazy fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines