Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Align Object on Path

New Here ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
How to use "Objects on Path" new feature in Align tab in Illustrator Beta?

Thanks & regards,

Hardik

TOPICS
How-to , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

All - this is working in Illustrator (public) Beta.

@Astonished_musicianB82C heres how to use.

1. Select your objects you wish to align to path.

2. Click the Objects on Path button. They will highlight pink.

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 1.04.57 PM.png

3. Select the path you want to align to.

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 1.05.15 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not working yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that new option in the Align palette, but didn't try messing around with it. The alignment feature I want most is aligning and distributing text objects to other objects via their baselines. I can't tell if any progress has been made with incorporating that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bobby Henderson 

A few years ago I published a script here in the forum that aligns the baseline of texts. I believe there is also one that distributes the baseline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one script I've seen will align point text objects by the baseline to the top-most text object. That's pretty limited compared to what I want to see. I'd like to be able to align text objects by their baselines to other kinds of objects (in addition to other text objects). I'd also like to be able to distribute point text objects, such as a vertical list of point text objects. It would be better and faster to have context sensitive functions available in the align palette as opposed to manually running a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bobby Henderson 

If such text manipulations are necessary, then I always use InDesign.

There I can align/distribute/edit text components exactly as I wish. That's why I've never seen the need to write an extended script (one was only because of a request here in the forum - and because I just felt like it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mostly do sign design work. Illustrator is better suited for that than InDesign. But, yeah, I have to use other alternatives (cough: CorelDRAW) if I want to align or distribute text objects to other objects via their baselines. Illustrator is superior in CorelDRAW in plenty of respects. But there are certain tasks I can do in CorelDRAW way faster than I can in Illustrator. I would prefer to use Illustrator for more or all of the design process. But it's faster to get certain pieces of "grunt work" done in CorelDRAW and then export those elements into Illustrator where the final design will be output.

Illustrator has come a long way in the past decade ago. Lots of "little" improvements here and there have made the application much more friendly to large format design work (font height options, increased zoom, large canvas mode, etc). Those text alignment features may not seem like much, but they can make a big difference in accumulated time savings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All - this is working in Illustrator (public) Beta.

@Astonished_musicianB82C heres how to use.

1. Select your objects you wish to align to path.

2. Click the Objects on Path button. They will highlight pink.

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 1.04.57 PM.png

3. Select the path you want to align to.

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 1.05.15 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin Thank you very much. Good to know and it looks good. (Unfortunately I couldn't test it myself because I didn't have this beta installed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That build in which it works has just been published today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Kevin Stohlmeyer Thanks a lot! It works perfectly fine now after restarting illustrator!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines