• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any way to make Show Transparency Grid the default view?

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm forever turning transparency grid on when opening a new AI file.  I'd like it on by default but I don't see anything in the prefs to force this.  Is there a way?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like many settings, this is achieved by editing existing or creating new document profiles. See here for a full description if you are unfamiliar:

https://happyrainbow.art/2019/06/06/document-profiles-in-illustrator/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply Doug.  OK I think I understand about document profiles, but am I right in assuming that this is only for creating new AI files, and doesn't apply if I'm downloading vectors from Adobe Stock for prep for After Effects animation? The latter is my 90% use case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, it's a document setting. I'm not aware of a way to set it universally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a keyboard shortcut - Shift-Ctrl-D (PC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also save your new created transparency file as Template in Illustrator. Anytime when you will open it your new document will be transparent.

Work with files and templates in Illustrator (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really isn't very useful if you're working with existing files, which is everyone.
There really needs to be put into the preferences section. Actually, it should have been in the Preferences since day one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make feature requests here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was already requested in 2017. SEVEN years seems an awful long time to implement something that should take less than a day. So much for Adobe making life easier for users. SMH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Posting a feature request there is not a guarantee to get it implemented. If not enough people want it, then there will not be a chance. Posting a feature request in this forum on the other hand is a guarantee that no developer will see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, aware of that.  I'd love to not have to remember that, and just set it once and forget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines