• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blob/MetaBall: Great effect but how does it work?

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I've discovered this great blob effect in Illustrator but I'm having trouble understanding how it actually works. Does anyone understand this?

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 11.07.48 AM.png

Here is how you get the effect:

1. Create two (or more) shapes
  2. Select them all and create compound path
  3. Apply offset path effect (Effects > Path > Offset Path> Use a positive number, change "Joins" to Round)
  4. Apply offset path effect again, all the same settings but with a negative number this time

I uploaded a quick video here as well. 

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Draw and design , How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

The first instance of the Offset Path effect forces the two circles of the compound path to unify.

The second instance of the Offset Path effect recognises the unified object to calculate the negative offset as long as it is below the first Offset Path effect in the Appearance palette. That's why it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first instance of the Offset Path effect forces the two circles of the compound path to unify.

The second instance of the Offset Path effect recognises the unified object to calculate the negative offset as long as it is below the first Offset Path effect in the Appearance palette. That's why it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Amazing! Thank you so much for your insight here! That really helps me understand this.

For anyone still scratching their head, this visual helped me understand it better:

joem11364421_0-1715200799436.png

Instead of applying two different instances of the Offset Path effect here, this was two overlapping circles that I unified into a single shape with the Unite command in the Pathfinder panel. The blue outline that you can see is the outline of this new shape. Then when you apply a single instance of the Offset Path effect with Round selected, it gives you the neat blob effect, smoothing out the sharp corners. 

Doing it with a compound path simply makes the effect sort of "live" with multiple shapes. Very cool.

Just for reference, here is what that same shape looks like with the other "Joins" options selected:

Miter:

joem11364421_1-1715201234242.png

Bevel:

joem11364421_2-1715201251736.png

Thanks again Kurt Gold!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines