• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Bug] "Print As Bitmap" (unchecked) checkbox is not honored.

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I uncheck "Print as Bitmap", it is not honored at all, in any circumstance:
a) In the Summary, it gaslights me.
a) When I press Done and reopen, it's checked again.
c) When I print, the graphics come out jagged, which tells me it is being processed with Print as Bitmap.

I'm on AI Version 27.2, just updated.
Apple M1 Max, MacOS 13.1

TOPICS
Bug , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is a Postscript-based drawing program, so If you're printing to a non-Postscript printer, it cannot send vector anyway, so you better off abandoning this approcah and saving the file as a PDF and printing from Acrobat (Acrobat acts as the Postscript RIP to render your graphics at the best possible with your printer). Illustrator WILL NOT act as a RIP, so regardless of the setting, it sends a bitmap. If your printer DOES have PS emulation, or PDF direct input, you need the right driver, as Illustrator only knows what the driver you've installed on your Mac tells it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a HP LaserJet 400 M401. I’ve had this setup for years and only
recently noticed this issue. The issue doesn’t happen with InDesign, and
the results between “Print as Bitmap” checked and unchecked are night and
day there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I'm on AI Version 27.2, just updated

You might want to check if you need to update your print drivers too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok this is getting somewhere. I updated my drivers (thought I was updated, but HP software is confusing [HP Smart, HP Easy Start???]) 

Looks like I’m able to NOT print as bitmap now, but the option is grayed out altogether. I don't think I’d ever want to, but yeah it’s gone.

While this solves my individual problem, I’d say this is still a bug for those who have printers that can only print bitmap. The checkbox should be grayed out (checked), and the summary would then be correct (because it seems to show "Print As Bitmap: On" only).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us what's in your artwork.

Please show screenshots of the artwork.

Please show the printed result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem persists regardless of what is in the artwork. I have tested with all sorts of files, and also tested on the old version 27.0. 

The bug is still relevant despite the printed results of the artwork (please see the GIF I originally attached). But I'll attach the results of a simple black circle here. Note the stair-stepping pixelation on the Illustrator output (this is with Print as Bitmap unchecked, but it still showing on the Summary page as "On" [again, please see GIF])

TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell when this started? Latest version?

Did you reset the preferences after updating?

Might be worth a try (rename the preferences folder, since that can be undone)

If it doesn't work, then you might need to report it as a bug here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I've already submitted it there, but got zero traction, so that's why I'm here.
https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/46275190--bug-p...

I followed @Met1 ’s advice, and while that seems to have solved the issue for me, the bug (about the Summary not being consistent with the Print As Bitmap checkbox) for certain printers remains. Please see my reply there if you like.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines