• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Move Object in Illustrator CC2020 Using Mouse on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot move any items in Illustrator using the mouse to drag the items, I can only move them using the arrow keys. Even if I open up a new document and place in a new object, I cannot open it, so it is not a problem specific to my file. None of my objects are locked. I do not have any hidden dialouges. I've already tried restarting Illustrator, resetting my preferences, etc. None of it works.

This has happened several times in the last few months and so I'm wondering if it's a bug?

I'm using the latest version of Illustrator as of 2/26/2020: Illustrator 24.02 Using Windows 10.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

! For some reason after I closed out of Photoshop, I could move objects again. Not sure what the issue was since there were no dialouge's open in Photoshop. but all is well. Thank you for your assitance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Found the answer on Youtube ... you have to click on the path of the object ... not the bounding box ... then you can move the object with the mouse ... was driving me crazy just using arrow keys! (I am using a mac btw..)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Hi @M__Smith,

I am really sorry to hear about your experience. This is not an ideal workaround you are using. I would request you to please share a few more details like:

• The exact version of OS, Ai & PS
  • Does it happen while working on some files or all?
  • Is this happening intermittently/ randomly or consistently?
  • Please share a small screen recording of the issue. It would be really helpful for us.
  • Which mouse are you using, or are you using a trackpad?

We are here to help. We just need mo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Hi All,

We are sorry for the trouble. I would like to inform you all that a similar issue has been addressed for Mac in Illustrator update along with the latest macOS update, v12.4. I would request you all the update Windows 10 to the latest build and Illustrator to v26.3.1 and share your observation with us. If you are still facing the issue, please share the information asked above. This information will help us investigate the issue further.

Please feel free to reach out. We'd be happy to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Is it only happening with Illustrator? Is your Windows 10 and Graphic Card driver up-to-date?
Please restart your machine in the safe mode and then try to work on the Illustrator. Let us know if you are able to work there properly. Please follow help article https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only happening with Illustrator, I have Photoshop up and it's working just fine. Everything appears to be up to date. I could see how restarting my computer would fix things for the moment but it seems like it will negatively affect workflow as this is something that happens quite frequently. I was hoping there was maybe some long term solution that doesn't require me restarting things in the middle of a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Closing Photoshop worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

! For some reason after I closed out of Photoshop, I could move objects again. Not sure what the issue was since there were no dialouge's open in Photoshop. but all is well. Thank you for your assitance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had the exact same problem and closing photoshop fixed. 
What a cooked feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly the same error with mine and the photoshop fix was the one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.  Thought I was going nuts....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened exactly the same to me! After I have tried every possible solution I could think of and every suggestion I found online and nothing worked, I've stumbled on this little piece of advice. I've closed Photoshop and everything is functional again. Thanks, Oakh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue but I didn't have Photoshop open, just Indesign. Closing it out didn't work. I had to restart my indesign and Illustrator for it to work. Definitely more buggy since this last update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing just happened to me today.

Was going nuts. Closing photoshop did not help. Selecting different artboards did not help. Closing out and coming in did not - but quitting Illustrator and coming back did.

Im thinking it might have something to do with the artboards. I wsa copying my artboards by dragging them to the + symbol at the bottom of the artboard panel to create more artboards when it started happening...

_______

Illustrator 24.2.3

MacOS Catalina 10.15.6

Macbook Pro 16-inch 2019

2.4 GHz 8-core Intel Core i9

Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500MM 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact same thing happened to me after copying an artboard with nothing else open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as what? This thread is ruined beyond repair.

If you want help on your issue, please create a new thread and post your system info as well as a description of your issue. Nobody will want to red through the 3 pages of this thread in order to figure out what your issue might be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika, it appears that the "Same thing" is the same thing this entire thread is about. People are responding to the "OP" (that stands for "Original Post"). So this is how it works. Someone creates a Post, and people respond to it. If someone says they are experiencing the "Same Thing" then its about that same thing that the thread is about. If someone had a post about how they love kittens and someone responded "I DO TOO!", well - you can rest assured that person loves kittens as well. You wouldnt ask "YOU DO TOO... What? What are you talking about?!" This is how it has worked for well over two decades. Even back when we just had dial-up. Welcome to the internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there are several sub threads in this. And you answered in a sub thread. But if you'd like to continue in this thread, please go ahead.

Since e-mail notification in this forum doesn't work well and the sorting of thread also doesn't work well, a lot of people won't even notice that there has been an addition to the thread. Let alone find you reply in this mess of a thread. But still: your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing Photoshop is super convenient when you are IN Photoshop and edit smart objects imported from Illustrator...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @defaultaiagf8xja2wl,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. This is not the experience we want you to have. We will try our best to help you out. Would it be possible for you to share a few details like:

• OS & the exact version of Illustrator and Photoshop
  • Is this happening while working/ editing a specific file or all?
  • Is this happening intermittently or always?
  • Where are your files saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.

Also, please try to do the same workflow in Safe Mode (Windows/ Mac) and share your observation with us.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only Illustrator, it happened to all things on the computer, I just can't drag/drop anything  from windows folder/files to browser's images when Photoshop is opened

It seems to stop the function 'drag and drop' of windows (happened in all other apps too)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had the exact same problem here and closing photoshop fixed. XD thank you, Oakh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm   also facing same kind of problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this about moving objects with Shift pressed or about having to close Photoshop in order to move your objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup. for me. cant shift and move with  mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nur,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. I would request if you could share a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrator
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently.
  • Does resetting Illustrator Preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) help to resolve the issue?

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

We’re here to help, just need more info.   

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

some time ago started problems when one wants to use Photoshop and Illustrator together. After some time some functionality in one of them is limited (not always, just happens). I have today the same as above - there was impossible to move any object on artwork, AI was just beeping, restart of Illustrator didn't help, only quiting Photoshop is solving the problem. Both are last versions with all updates (o2 2021) it is starting to happen after some time of work - sytem windows 10. Similar things happens with photoshop - you have to quit illustrator to get control back. As You see problems is still happening.

Regards

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm having the same issue in Illustrator. I can only move objects (whether created or images pasted) with the arrow keys? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines