• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't rotate or scale objects with selection tool

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past week, I've been unable to use the selection tool to rotate or scale objects

The only solution I've found online is to "Show Bounding Box," but my bounding box is already shown. It has nothing to do with that. I can see the bounding box and the anchor points, it's just that my selection tool won't change into the rotate or scale tool when it hovers over the anchor points.

I've been using the Free Transform Tool for now, but it's getting really annoying. I'd really like to fix this. Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Have you tried resetting preferences? How to set preferences in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

To anyone who might still have this problem, mine got solved by choosing "Show bounding box" from the "View" tab.
The default shortcut on Windows is Shift + Ctrl + B 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Thanks for sharing the details. I would request you try the following steps and let us know how it goes:

• Close all Adobe applications and go to the following location
    C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
    Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings.old

Disclaimer: Please note that renaming preferences folders will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings & create a new folder

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini 
Thanks for your kind help

I faced this problem today and did all the things you mentioned above, but the selection tool is still not rotationg my object.

Its really weird because I can rotate the shapes i draw with pen tool easily with the selection tool, but when I use the rectangle tool, it doesnt work!
I would really appreciate it if you could help me.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Regards,
Maryam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @maryam20634077m9y4,

Sorry to hear about that. Would it be possible for you to share a few details like:

• The exact version of Illustrator & OS
  • Is this happening with a specific file only or all? Is it a new file or an old one?
  • Screenshot of the Layers panel
  • Share the download link of the file here or via DM. We'll take a look at it.

Also, would it be possible for you to share a small screen recording of the issue you are facing? It would be really helpful for us, and we can assist you accordingly.

We are here to help. We just need more info.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, if I hover right near a corner of the object (not on it), hold shift, and quickly click once with my mouse, my rotate arrows appear. Of course, it took an hour of pulling my hair out to find this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is happening to me now too! does anyone know the fix for this??? I can do the command thing that one poster replied but I would like for when I would put my curser near the corner it would automatically just give me the rotate option now I cannot get it back, restarted my computer, updated app etc etc it was once I updated to the abobe 2023 version is when it started happening to me on my computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is happening to me now too! does anyone know the fix for this??? I can do the command thing that one poster replied but I would like for when I would put my curser near the corner it would automatically just give me the rotate option now I cannot get it back, restarted my computer, updated app etc etc it was once I updated to the abobe 2023 version is when it started happening to me on my computer!

By @wheelersabelm

Exactly what is happening to you too? This thread ha 28 answers spanning 2 pages. Please describe your issue instead of forcing us to read all of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @wheelersabelm,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing a few details along with the one asked by Monika:

• Is this happening with a specific file only or all? Is it a new file or an old one?
  • What was the zoom level of the document when you were trying to scale the layer/ object?

Also, would it be possible for you to share a small screen recording demonstrating the issue? It would be really helpful for us, and we can assist you accordingly.

We are here to help. We just need more info.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone who might still have this problem, mine got solved by choosing "Show bounding box" from the "View" tab.
The default shortcut on Windows is Shift + Ctrl + B 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! you really help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, Thanks a heap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of this worked for me. However when I manually went into the VIEW drop down menu and manually clicked on HIDE BOUNDING BOX and SHOW BOUNDING BOX it started to work. Using the shortcut Ctrl + Shift + B did not work. Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting the object and then pressing Control + T. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Ernest31209060k6oq  schrieb:

Try selecting the object and then pressing Control + T. 

That is Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines