• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change units from points to inches won't "stick"

Enthusiast ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated from Illustrator 2018 to 2019. Everything is working fine... except I want to change "General" units from points to inches. It does not remain in inches. The next time I open a file, it's back to points. Any ideas? I'm on a Mac, by the way. Thanks so much!

julie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Right-click the ruler and select the unit from the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The units you set in Preferences > Units > General are only used for documents that you open that do not have a unit specified, like an image.

The document that you open determines the Unit settings.

For new documents that means they will use the Units specified in the New Document Profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? That's so weird. I've been doing these same charts for many, many years. They are generated online. I've always had them open with inches. Every time I've updated Illustrator, I set the units to inches and it always shows up that way. So is this a new thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I see where when I create a new document I can choose inches at that point. I am thinking that's the trick. Thanks so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AABBCCJuile  wrote

OK, so I see where when I create a new document I can choose inches at that point. I am thinking that's the trick. Thanks so much for your help!

I hope that works for you, but choosing the units when creating the doc should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know this has been the case for many versions.

When I open a document with units set to inches, the preferences change to inches.

If the next document I open has the units set to pixels, the preferences change to pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very frustrating. If I am understanding this when I import a document from another designer I can not change the units?

This seems to be the case: I went to preferences - Units and the ruler did not change. That seems very broken and yes I agree this has been this way for far too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click the ruler and select the unit from the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, even when changing the units in my preferences did not (not even for the document I was working in). Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! Worked for me! Best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me!! Love it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File/document setup - units 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who in the hell even uses points these days?? The few would probably use indesign anyway. I don't see why they haven't changed it to in or px. Its not 1987 anymore adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And I'm pretty sure the "designer" who put the photo on the web didn't "set it up" using points... The image would go through the web and use pixels...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines