Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Concentric irregular shapes with equal space between

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I know how to step and repeat and also use the blend tool for shapes, but I'm trying to create concentric irregular outlined shapes.

Picture a simple outline drawing of a cloud. I'd like the graphic to be made of multiple progressively smaller outline cloud shapes,

like concentric rings only cloud shape.

I do know the trick of making multiple copies and adding white or solid strokes so that the effect is what I'm going for,

but that's a really cumbersome graphic.

Thank you,

Jane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

It would help those of us answering questions if you would show a picture of what you're aiming for.

Here's a couple of ideas.

Draw the smaller cloud shape. Choose Object > Path > Offset Path.

Select the resulting offset path and Offset Path by the same amount as the first offset.

Keep repeating. You'll get something like this:

Another way would be to draw the cloud shape, and use the Appearance panel to add new strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help those of us answering questions if you would show a picture of what you're aiming for.

Here's a couple of ideas.

Draw the smaller cloud shape. Choose Object > Path > Offset Path.

Select the resulting offset path and Offset Path by the same amount as the first offset.

Keep repeating. You'll get something like this:

Another way would be to draw the cloud shape, and use the Appearance panel to add new strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution is a huge help for a similar challenge I'm facing, thanks! With my variation, I'm trying to create numerals that are comprised of concentric-filled lines. Instead of the concentric shapes simply repeating themselves, I'm trying to achieve an overlapping effect with some numeral shapes. As seen--in my very poorly constructed example--numerals 3, 4, 6, 8 & 9,  there is a combination of concentric shapes, but also a complex intersection with the middle path between the inside and outside paths of the shape. Can I still achive this using the offset path method... or any other suggestions? My trainwreck example was drawn freehand using line shapes instead of the pen tool, but I would love to be able to recreate these numeral shapes with perfectly spaced, concentric versions. Thanks in advance for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is your finished result, no?

I'm not quite sure what your issue is, since that looks like you already have a solution.

If not, then what would be your starting point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - my attached example was created manually in Illustrator, but not by using any tools, such as Offset Path or Make Pattern, etc. You can see the uneven spacing in my numerals, along with poorly connected segments and general bluriness. I am hoping to use one of Illustrator's tools to create cleaner versions of my shapes. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the base shapes are closed or open paths?

You could take a look at the plugin ToolShed, which makes the process of offset path easier: https://rj-graffix.com/downloads/plugins/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hola. The plugin ToolShed is very useful for this purpose, thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barbara. The offset path option was what I'm looking for! I think I used it ages ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Glad that did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines