• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy object with clipping mask to Photoshop without extra space showing

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure there's a simple solution for this, I've just searched everywhere and cannot find what it is. If I copy an object with a clipping mask in Illustrator, it selects only the masked area:

clippingmask1.PNG

However, when I paste it into Photoshop, it pastes with all the extra space hidden by the mask showing. 

clippingmask2.PNG

What's the best way to prevent this? My current workaround has been to make a copy of the masked stuff, rasterize it, then copy and paste that into photoshop, but that's not really ideal so I'm hoping there's a simpler solution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

If you save the file (make sure the artboard has the same size as your artwork), you can choose File > Open as Smart Object in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. In addition to the suggestion by @Ton Frederiks, you may try toggling the "Resize Image During Place" and "Always Create Smart Objects when placing" from preferences in Photoshop under General and see if that helps.

Anshul_Saini_0-1632262945982.png

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

You may try this Illustrator action if the clipping mask contains just plain filled paths, stroked paths or live type objects.

Photoshop Clipper

Instruction: Select a clipping mask and run the action.

The action won't work if the clipping mask contains more complex constructions with other object types (e.g. raster images).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you save the file (make sure the artboard has the same size as your artwork), you can choose File > Open as Smart Object in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. In addition to the suggestion by @Ton Frederiks, you may try toggling the "Resize Image During Place" and "Always Create Smart Objects when placing" from preferences in Photoshop under General and see if that helps.

Anshul_Saini_0-1632262945982.png

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may try this Illustrator action if the clipping mask contains just plain filled paths, stroked paths or live type objects.

Photoshop Clipper

Instruction: Select a clipping mask and run the action.

The action won't work if the clipping mask contains more complex constructions with other object types (e.g. raster images).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This slightly modified version allows multiple selected clipping groups. The first version does not allow it.

Photoshop Clipper 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although an Illustrator action route is not the most terrible approach, I think using (Cloud) Library objects to transfer the clipping groups may be the easiest way at the moment.

As far as I can see, Photoshop will always recognize only the visible parts of the clipping groups. No matter what kind of objects the clipping masks actually contain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This remains unanswered. Ton Frederiks' reply was not an answer to the OP's question yet it was upvoted as a "correct answer". The OP asked how to cut and paste using the mask bounds as the object. This is still a problem in 2024.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Someone may have marked it as correct answer, it is a workaround. I think that Kurt's suggestion is the easiest way to transfer clipped objects to Photoshop.

But you can always do a feature request:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines