• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a score PDF as vector graphics only, with no embedded fonts

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all -- I posted this same question in the Acrobat forum, but I've been advised that Illustrator is probably the way to go. (It may also be the Photoshop could be useful, based on what I've seen online.)

I create musical scores using Finale and then export them as PDFs to share with collaborators. Though it's rare, on a few occasions, embedded fonts have created problems -- e.g. some elements haven't printed correctly. In order to make the files as secure and archivable as possible, I'd like to create versions that are 100% vector graphics and contain no embedded fonts. Assuming that the PDF I start out with looks correct when I've exported it from Finale, what should I do to it? Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

So what's your goal? The text should be outlined (converted to paths)? Or just the font not embedded?

In order to outline the text I would not use Illustrator for that, but do it in Acrobat  https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/why-wont-my-fonts-outline/td-p/10279598

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can open the PDF with Illustrator and you see no issues (not saying you won't) you can select the page elements and create outlines of them and then re-save as a PDF. It would be a case of trial and error and a bit of testing to make sure that this is a viable way of doing what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. So this would mean first command-A for "select all", right? And then how do I create outlines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you really want to use Illustrator for that:

Open the PDF (All Pages)

Make sure the option for linking the pages (instead of embedding them) is turned on.

Select the single pages and Object > Flatten transparency. Check "Oultine fonts"

Save the PDF.

But as I already wrote: I would not use Illustrator for that when you have Acrobat Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what's your goal? The text should be outlined (converted to paths)? Or just the font not embedded?

In order to outline the text I would not use Illustrator for that, but do it in Acrobat  https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/why-wont-my-fonts-outline/td-p/10279598

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Monica -- thanks so much! This seems to have worked! I was just sent back from the Acrobat forum to the Illustrator forum, but luckily you are familiar enough with both programs.

Just to explain my goal (which a few people brought up in the thread you linked for me). Embedded fonts don't always work. It's not really even relevant if that's because of bugs in Adobe products or elsewhere, it's just a massive risk to take. Compatibility issues seem to be getting worse each year, and tech increasingly glitchy and unreliable. I am, in fact, very worried of how much we'll lose of our heritage with file types that may turn out to be unarchivable. A lot of composers are aware of this general problem since notation software is notoriously horrific in this regard. For example: as many of my colleagues do, I archive my old laptops, not just the files -- otherwise they won't open correctly. (Older versions of the programs can't be installed if your OS is too new, and newest versions of the software mess up older files.) However, a lot of composers are under the false impression that having their work as PDFs makes them safe and archivable. This is not true, except with purely graphic files. It's anyone's guess whether these files will open properly in 5, 10, or 30 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines