• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop tool leaves large white edges

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to crop a simple rectangle using the Illustrator crop tool and I cannot crop it to the size I want without getting a white border appearing on at least one edge. If I try to crop out the white border it just appears again. I think the issue was already brought up elsewhere, but has not been properly addressed or resolved. See here:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/last-update-broke-crop-image/m-p/11412389?page=1#M243315

and here:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/appearing-white-line-when-using-crop-image/m-p/9016209?pa...

I am using Illustrator 2020 24.2.3 but this seems to have been an issue in previous versions as well. What is going on?

crrop.PNG

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Use a clipping mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you trying to crop, a linked or placed image?

What is the zoomlevel you are using in your image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an image copied out of a placed PDF after embedding. I am working at around 300% zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issues you relinked were about a single visible white pixel, what you show looks like more. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, it does seem to be more than one pixel. Do you have suggestions about how to solve the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot replicate that.

Did you try to uncheck "Enable Content Aware Defaults" in the general Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the problem still happened with that option unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this issue get solved? It still occurs after few years (2023 February now). Would be great to find out any workarounds at least if not a solution.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Evelina2841840093n2,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing this issue. I understand how frustrating it can be to encounter a problem that doesn't seem to have a clear solution.

I tried to replicate the issue on my end, but I wasn't able to reproduce it. However, I would be happy to try and help you find a workaround or a solution.

Would you mind sharing the file you trying to crop and a screen recording demonstrating the issue? It would also be helpful to know what operating system and version of Illustrator you are using.

I hope we can find a solution together. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini, thanks for replying!

I can perhaps explain how it occurs to me and you can tell me if you can spot the culprit of this issue. So this always happens when I just paste an image into Illustrator - it can just be a screenshot or something copied from the clipboard (plain 'paste' function as opposed to placing the linked file directly). In Illustrator I then resize that pasted image to fit my figure (e.g. scientific figure for journal publication). When I zoom into it to facilitate the alignment I can see that it created that white edge around the figure, or only from one or two sides of it, which does not let me align it nicely anymore. I could share an example file, but this happens to me EVERY time in this "copy-paste" and resizing scenario, hence should be relatively easy to reproduce. Otherwise, I can share a file with the next reply. Perhaps I should not be pasting images into Illustrator at all? I do that mainly to speed things up when I need to prepare a quick scientific figure for work, but would be great to not have to waste time 'fighting' these white edges.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Evelina2841840093n2,

Thank you for sharing the details. I am unable to replicate it on our end. Would you mind checking if there aren't any "Snap to" options checked in the View menu? If you continue to face this problem, please share a sample file along with a screen recording demonstrating the issue, and we'll be happy to investigate further.

As Met1 suggested, one possible workaround is to use a clipping mask. This is a flexible solution that allows you to crop the image without losing any of the original data. Alternatively, as Ton suggested, you can also try cropping the image in Photoshop before pasting it into Illustrator.

I hope this information helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a clipping mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely the best flexible solution. Or crop in Photoshop, which is destructive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

We will check with the product team about this issue, but in the meanwhile, can you try the following and let us know?

Adjust artboard size: It's possible that the white edges you're seeing are simply the result of your Artboard being larger than the cropped image. To adjust the Artboard size, go to the Artboard tool and click and drag the edges of the Artboard to match the size of your image.

Adjust crop settings:  In the control panel at the top of the screen, select "Crop Image" and then adjust the values in the "Width" and "Height" fields to match the size of your image.

Check image resolution: If the resolution of your image is too low, it can result in white edges appearing when the image is cropped. To check the resolution of your image, select it with the Selection tool and then go to Object > Image Trace > Make. In the Image Trace panel, you'll be able to see the resolution of the image. If it's too low, try re-importing the image with a higher resolution

Use Clipping Mask instead: If none of the above solutions work, you could try using a Clipping Mask instead of the Crop tool. With the image and a shape that you want to use as a mask selected, go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make to create a mask. This will allow you to adjust the mask as needed to achieve the desired result without leaving white edges.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran, I believe the resolution of the image will result in the additional pixel. When you have 2 images, one with a resolution of a multiple of 72 ppi, like 288 and another with 300 ppi, the one with the multiple 72 ppi will not get the additional pixel, while the one with 150 or 300 ppi will almost always get one after cropping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Tom. This is valuable information. I wasn't aware of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is complicated to predict if there will be an additional pixel, is the image scaled (and gets a different resolution), is the image aligned to the coordinates of the pixelgrid...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines