Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 Stroke Issue?

Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently using the CS6 trial. I have issues occasionaly when trying to make the stoke less than 1pt, it either immediatly flicks back to 1pt, or says 0.5pt and hasn't changed on my artboard. Is it a glitch with me or illustrator?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off "Align to pixel grid"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope tried that no luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an object-based option in the transform panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agreee with Monika it is the align to pixel option and you must have it turned on.

If you are making a web document it is turned on my default

Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 7.21.25 AM.png

the transform panel reflects this unless you do not have the options of the transform panel opened.

here it shows it

Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 7.22.19 AM.png

Here it doesn't

Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 7.22.30 AM.png

Here witht the option I choose .5 pixels in the stroke panel

Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 7.22.55 AM.png

The result is 1 pixel

Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 7.23.07 AM.png

This is the only way this situation manifest itself.

On the web you cannot have less than a pixel.

Otherwise you must have something installed on your system that is drastically effecting AI CS 6.

But I am certain that Monika is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Wade_Zimmerman,

Thanks for your explination, that was very helpful for me two.

My only question would be, can I change it (the "align new objects to pixel grid" thing) back AFTER my document was created.

My document is too complexe to recreate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that I have to turn "align to pixel grid"on, then back off, for it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you don't have to use the drop-down menu on the Strokes Panel.  You can just overtype the Stroke Weight with any value you want.

stroke width.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rodieck you are missing the point if you have align to pixel option turned on then it will not be possible to assign a weight of less than a pixel because of the nature of align to pixel.

So if youwant to assign less than pixel you hsave toturn thr option off before the weight field will allow it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But according to her message 2 above, the align to pixel grid is off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2012 Jun 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So she made a mistake we all do! No?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2012 Jun 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But according to her message 2 above, the align to pixel grid is off.

Unknown, however, is which "align to pixel grid" option is turned off. Turning off the option to create new objects aligned to the pixel grid does not retroactively undo the object-specific align to pixel grid option for objects which were created while the former was turned on.

So if the object being manipulated was created while the create new objects... option was on, it will still display the unwanted behavior of snapping Stroke Weight to integer values, unless the object-specific option is also turned off.

It's just another typically horrible interface for another typically ill-conceived and poorly-implemented feature. Another source of chronic Illustrator confusion.

This hideous feature should just be done away with. Other drawing programs are routinely used to rasterize graphics for use on the web without such a cumbersome interface feature. As implemented, I dare say this feature creates more headaches for far more users than those whose complaints (mostly about unwanted antialiasing of screen-res strokes) gave rise to it.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Originally i was looking in the wrong place for the tick box but found it eventually, but using cs6 solidly for the past couple of weeks and I’m becoming annoyed with constantly having to tick the box. Why have they put this in....who is benefiting from it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only on by default in the RGB based New Document Profiles. Make another profile with it turned off and use that one. The people benefitting are those who are working in designing for Web work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also simply open the web rgb document turn it off and replace it then it will always be that way.

You find the document profiles here you need to right click or control click on the Illustrator Application and choose Show Packages.

You make the changes then resave the file by doing a save. I am not certain if it is possible to do a Save As to the packages so do a simple save.

They're are in the required folder.

If you ever wish to do a custom arrow head or 3D extrusion profile they are also located in thye Packages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually feels more like a bug then a poor implemented feature to me...

I'm using CS6 for a week now, and I use it to create "technical drawings" (Illustrator just works for everything right) that can be cut using a laser cutter; something totally different then web design, which relies on pixels and rasterisation processes.

I found that even in a Print/CMYK document the strokes of the rectangles would not go below the 1 pt, and immediately jump back. According to my reasoning, this has nothing to do with any of the pixel grid align functions, since I am working in a document with millimeters as the standard measure and pt to define stroke size. In CS5 I did not have these problems and I could easily set the stroke to the desired size < 1pt.

So my thought is: maybe it's an actual bug, these pixel grid options should be ignord when working with print intention right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pep_F wrote:

So my thought is: maybe it's an actual bug, these pixel grid options should be ignord when working with print intention right?

Depends on how you set up that document. The setting is defined in the document profile. If this is set up correctly, then, yes, Pixel grid is ignored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pep,

There is another possible reason, namely a decimal mark mismatch: in English (with the exception of South Africa, I believe), the decimal mark is a stop (period), and in (some/most) other languages it is a comma (I believe).

Your OS and Illy may disagree about this and make a mess. Illy is right (and in any case you will have to indulge her).

You can see whether that is the issue if you try to create a 0.5pt stroke by typing it in the value box, first with a stop, then with a comma, and see whether either works.

If it works with he opposite decimal mark of the one used in the dropdown you have the mismatch; you may change the decimal mark in the OS Regional & Language settings.

If not, it is something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It actually feels more like a bug then a poor implemented feature to me..."

I agree, I've noticed I can have two objects with "align to pixel" off and the appropriate global settting has been turned off; then, when I do a boolean operation suddenly the new object has "align to pixel" on and all the anchor points get skewed.  Not helpful at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.... I agree, I've noticed I can have two objects with "align to pixel" off and the appropriate global settting has been turned off; then, when I do a boolean operation suddenly the new object has "align to pixel" on and all the anchor points get skewed. ...

This happens when you have the "Align New Objects To Pixel Grid" checked in the menu of the Transform panel accessible from the top right corner of the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking that does solve the problem but apparently not with the same existing stroke. If you draw a stroke with it checked on then it will remain locked to the grid. Turn it off and draw another stroke and you can now change the value as usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or simply select the object with the stroke and uncheck Align to Pixel Grid. No need to redraw anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about from the Transform dialogue?  When I do that it doesn't change the selected stroke for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines