Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cutting text from shape is not working correctly

Participant ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to cut the text in shape, but for some reason, some letters ARE cut out, but at the same time they are not entirely correct.

As you can see from the images below, letters c and r have some kind of leftover at the top, but if you are looking at the paths and anchor points, the letters are the correct shape.

2024-05-03 14-29-17.png2024-05-03 14-29-07.png

2024-05-03 14-35-23.png2024-05-03 14-35-08.png

This is what I do:

1. I simply put a rectangle shape
  2. Type my wanted text
  3. Convert text to outline by ctrl+shift+o
  4. Select rectangle and text
  5. Click on pathfinder to minus the front

I have also tried to minus each letter manually with shape builder tool and strange thing happens. As you can see in the video below I have a word Three and when I minus the letter h, only then letter r is messed up.

Please help, because I have never had such problems with cutting text out

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , How-to , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 04, 2024 May 04, 2024

Thanks for the file. Unfortunately, I have not installed the font. Therefore I cannot reproduce the behaviour.

Do you need real paths? Or does the font only need to be optically punched out (remains as live text and is still editable)? In this case, a knock-out group or an opacity mask could be useful.

pixxxelschubser_0-1714824197114.png

pixxxelschubser_2-1714824322916.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 04, 2024 May 04, 2024

You need to first apply opacity 0% to the text objects.

Then group them with the rectangle.

Then make that group a knockout group.

Knokout groups also can have issues with the graphic card. You might need to go into CPU preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VIDEO IN BIGGER WINDOW 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked your outline view? Is it OK? 

Such problems usually only occur in the GPU preview. Please try to change it to CPU preview with [Ctrl]+[E]. What happens then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing changes, it's the same in GPU and CPU previews 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 04, 2024 May 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I share it? Because I am getting this error when I try to upload it here:

The attachment's example.ai content type (application/postscript) does not match its file extension and has been removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please change the file extension to .PDF and then you can upload it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try PDF (with AI compatibility) or use a free hoster of your choice (e.g. Adobe Cloud or Dropbox or ...) and share the link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the file. Unfortunately, I have not installed the font. Therefore I cannot reproduce the behaviour.

Do you need real paths? Or does the font only need to be optically punched out (remains as live text and is still editable)? In this case, a knock-out group or an opacity mask could be useful.

pixxxelschubser_0-1714824197114.png

pixxxelschubser_2-1714824322916.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I doing something wrong? Because this does not seem to work for me

2024-05-04 16-03-38.png

If using knock-out group or an opacity mask does not affect the final print, it would be much easier, since I won't have to minus it with Pathfinder after each edit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to first apply opacity 0% to the text objects.

Then group them with the rectangle.

Then make that group a knockout group.

Knokout groups also can have issues with the graphic card. You might need to go into CPU preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, thank you!

Now another question... Is it safe to send it to the print like this? Because I don't want to get a call from a client that he have printed 10k labels and this part got printed incorrectly.

A couple of years ago when I was just starting, I sent label with texts as text, not converted to outlines... And that printer that they used, for some reason ignored all text elements and labels without any text were printed out.

If I understand this correctly, this is working like a Clipping Mask and things clipped out in Clipping Mask are not printed out, so theoretically this should not have any problems with printing? But just want to be sure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please speak to your print shop. (To be on the safe side, but this should normally not be a problem).

I am still interested in the original problem though. Can you please outline the fonts and re-upload the file for testing purposes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pixxxelschubser Here it is. Please share your testing results

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the second file.

Strange.
As I wrote at the beginning -> for me it is purely a view problem. Switching to CPU view solves the problem. And the path view is also ok.

GPU view

pixxxelschubser_0-1714856953043.png

CPU view

pixxxelschubser_1-1714857033699.png

Outline view

pixxxelschubser_2-1714857114515.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pixxxelschubser Then there's something wrong with my Illustrator, because my previews are not changing... Maybe you know what could be the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you please try another way?

My last test with the Live Paint tool worked without any problems. In addition, the hallmarks of the letters ‘e’, ‘a’, ‘b’ and ‘o’ are also calculated correctly with the gold gradient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines