• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable Illustrator cc 2017 zoom to selection?

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just updated my PC to the latest version of Illustrator, there is one feature that's bugging me, zoom to selection. I can see the appeal but i don't want it, it's disrupting my workflow, anyone know how to turn it off, when they introduced animated zoom, the GPU section of Preferences had a checkbox to disable it, I was hoping that zoom to selection may have a similar option, anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

>>>SOLUTION<<<

In Illustrator CC 2018, Adobe finally fixed this by adding a check box under preferences Section & Anchor Display.  You can disable Zoom To Selection.  It is enabled by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 167 Replies 167
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could also just do a quick Shift-Command-A to deselect all and then zoom as normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To zoom the old fashion way, you just need to go into your illustrator preferences, GPU preferences, and deselect ''Animated Zoom''.Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 4.24.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't get rid of the "snap to zoom" on the selected object though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many commenters here seem to think the issue here is the animated zoom; this is not the case. The problem is that zooming with ctrl+ or ctrl- now automatically centers the window on selected elements, which is very different to prior behavior and disruptive to many people's workflow. In my case, that workflow is more than ten years old and one of my most-entrenched keyboard habits. Some people like the new behavior, and that's fine, but as a matter of good design for user experience, the introduction of changes to long-established behaviors like this should ALWAYS be accompanied with an option to disable the new behavior, but no such option currently exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I do actually like about it, is when you open a smart object from photoshop it's never centered in the illustrator window that it opens? Doing a quick select-all and zoom in/out brings that into view quickly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been annoying for long time. The new update doesn't fix it.

Please make this optional feature, because everyone have different workflow.

I personally set custom shortcut: cmd+1: zoom out, cmd+ 2: zoom in. Since the new update it's hard to do that because I must unselect anything first (99% times I don't need to zoom to certain point).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why but everytime I try to submit bug/feature request whan I click submit button it always error:

Screenshot 2017-02-10 08.35.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try it from Illustrators Help menu?

Help > Submit Bug/Feature Request...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously I'm using link from this forum front page.

I just tried again from adobe illustrator help menu, still same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously...this is driving me nuts.  I work on large murals.  My artboard us is usually 120" wide.  When working on a small detail I press Cntrl - to see a little more of the area and I am working on when I suddenly go flying to the center of the artboard.  Now I have to zoom all the way out and find where I was.  Super annoying.  I have been using Illustrator professionally for 16 years and old habbits (my workflow) die hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entire reason I landed on this page is that I was massively frustrated by this "feature"! Maybe I'm an edge case, but I am constantly creating ai files based on the total size of the available artboard. To put it another way, I'm creating files so large, I have to create 2 separate ai files, save them out as PDFs, and then stitch them together. So MY experience involves jumping from the very top left of the possible artboard, moving to the bottom right, and attempting to zoom in. I say attempting, because I am constantly yelling at my computer when I'm not going where I intend to go. This new "feature" does not work for users like me at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer I came looking for tonight. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe have taken Flash's most annoying UX behaviour and put it in to Illustrator.... Say what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So frustrating!! Is there no way to disable this? Adobe please give the option to disable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This been fixed / going to be fixed yet. It's really annoying. I'm one of those that's been using the ctrl/cmd plus and minus for years, since Freehand MX! I can't get out of the habit and it's something that I shouldn't have to especially as I'm paying £45 per month for this junk!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE! Let us disable this "feature"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! Adobe, this is messing with peoples' careers. Why no fix yet? Why do I pay $600 a year to Beta test new (often terrible) features? Adobe: If it's not broken, DON'T fix it. Or can I send you the bill for the HOURS I am wasting waiting for you to repair this feature that worked well for 15+ years... until you "improved" it for me?  @$#%&*!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe, Support​
for God's sake please disable this crappy function or at least give me the option to disable it in the settings.
P.S. I use cmd +  to zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the most annoying new feature from Adobe. Can someone please make a script to disable this functionality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy shit, this feature makes me want to kill myself.

Ctrl++ was like a second nature to me. Having to hold alt and scroll is retarded. If we could just scroll to zoom and hold the middle mouse to pan, it would be great, but holding alt? Those devs are f****g st*pid. I wish I didn't have to use adobe illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daily user of Illustrator CC chiming in:

I really dislike this feature too, and strongly suggest making an option to disable it in the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, hello, I'm here to help with this question of the new feature in the animated zoom of illustrator cc, (excuse the English because I'm Brazilian and I'm using the translator) I was also very annoyed with this feature and today I found a way to Disable it and return to the old mode that everyone already knew. It's very simple! Just go to the "Edit"> "Preferences"> "GPU Performance" menu and you have found the "zoomed in" option, just uncheck this option and return to traditional mode. Big hug to all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a different topic. That option is used to enable/disable Animated Zoom.

This topic is about zooming to a selected object and cannot be changed by unchecking Animated Zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good grief, why is there still no option to disable this "feature." I don't want zoom to re-center on a selection, EVER.

Give me the option to disable this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines