• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Emailing illustrator file from one computer to another

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emailing illustrator file from one computer to another. Laptop to desktop. When I open the new file in Illustrator after being emailed, everything is flattened. What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zip it before attaching or use filesharing and send a link is probably better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to Ton's sage advice...

A lot of corporate and government servers either strip out any zip files or won't block the entire email. For filesharing services, remember the Creative Cloud can share files multiple ways, including CC folder on computer, CC storage online, CC Libraries. 

Sometimes filesharing services are blocked too. If that's the case, try saving the AI file as PDF with AI editing. Sometimes PDFs can get through.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes filesharing services are blocked too.

By @Creamer Training

Yes. I had one of those. Client never received the email, because it had a link in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a reminder, one alternative to emailing is saving it as a cloud document (not sure if that works for your workflow, but it may be easier)

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never encountered an email server literally altering an Adobe Illustrator AI file to where everything is flattened. Wouldn't that require the server to somehow open and edit the file to flatten any live effects? Or is the AI file being converted to a "flat" pixel based image? I guess I'm a little confused by the issue.

Aside from that, many Illustrator AI files can get pretty large in size. Many email servers will have file size limits on attachments. If I have to email an AI or AI-enabled PDF to someone I'll usually upload the file my Dropbox account and send the person a link to that file so they can download it directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is this saved as an .ai file? (i.e. not PDF)

What you're describing can happen if you open the PDF side of an .AI file. this shouldn't happen normally, but there may be a bad file association on your receiving computer that's mistaking the file as PDF. Try open the file from within Illustrator, selecting "Enable > Illustrator (.ai, .ait)" instead of "All Readable formats". If it opens differently, there's a problem with your system's file associations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines