• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error The application Adobe Illustrator 2022 cant be opened -1703 Fix: update macOS to 12.3.1

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have a smart object (created on illustrator) on Photoshop and double click it so it opens on Illustrator, the following error shows: 

The application “Adobe Illustrator 2022” can’t be opened. -1703

Illustrator opens and I can work on it, but I am not able to jump from Photoshop to Illustrator to edit files directly.

I'm on an iMac running macOS Monterey and I already updated all the software, I even rebooted my computer! It started happening with the latest update.

Help, please 😞 

Thank you

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Hi All, @Alberto Martinez A. @Stav.design 

We are sorry for the trouble. This issue has been fixed with the latest macOS update (v12.3.1) released yesterday. I would recommend you to update and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, can you try with the previous version of AI or AI 2021? And let us know if it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Alexandre.

I just tried and it didn't work. I installed 3 different previous versions of photoshop and illustrator and I am still getting the same error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you discribe your workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a canvas on photoshop and I drag and drop a vector graphic from Illustrator into photoshop.

The graphic becomes a Smart Object and when I click the thumbnail on photoshop (on the layers) to go back to illustrator and edit the Smart Object, the error shows.

I used to do this ALL the time. but now it won't let me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a Monterey issue and there are several threads about it already. https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-photoshop-23-2-2-can-t-open-update-vector-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Monika! Let's hope it gets fixed soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alberto, 

I'm having the same issue and found a quick temporary solution:
so the smart object that you already have in your Photoshop can be saved into PDF:

Layers tab - Export contents - save it to your desired location as a pdf - open in AI - save the file
back to photoshop - link smart object to the pdf - done!

I know it's not as fast as 'edit contents' or clicking on the smart object hoping it will show up in AI, let's hope Adobe or Mac solve this issue ASAP! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @melethinc,

We are sorry for the trouble. There is no need for a workaround as this issue has been fixed with the latest macOS update (v12.3.1). I would recommend you to update and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I displayed the same issue today. damn... really need to get done the work .... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ALL,

just keep the status quo and restore to MacOS 15.2 and update to the latest MacOS 15.3, there will be no more errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear 

thanks a lot I appreciate it. it works,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, @Alberto Martinez A. @Stav.design 

We are sorry for the trouble. This issue has been fixed with the latest macOS update (v12.3.1) released yesterday. I would recommend you to update and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still happens to me!! Not fixed althougt im on latest VR on all softwares. cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @tonybikini,

We are sorry to hear about this. I am unable to replicate the issue at my end. I tested on Macbook Pro M1 Max running on macOS v12.5 and Illustrator v26.4.1. Would you mind confirming the macOS & Illustrator version? Also, would you mind trying resetting Illustrator & Photoshop preferences?

Let us know how it goes. Will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @tonybikini 

I'm using Macbook pro M1, facing the issue with error 1703. Reset preferences in photoshop and Illustrator but unable to solve the problem and softwares are up to date. Can you please help? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Surbhi_Jain,

Thanks for reaching out. This issue has been addressed in macOS v12.3.1. Please update macOS to v12.3.1 or later and let us know if the issue persists. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same probleeeem .. what did you do? 😭

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to update the ios and adobe creative cloud (photoshop too)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Maia2585980137vh,

We are sorry for the trouble. I would like to know if updating the macOS, Photoshop & Illustrator, as suggested by Alberto, helped or not. If not, please try resetting Illustrator & Photoshop preferences and see if that helps.

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue in 2023, macOS Monterey 12.3

Error: The application “Adobe Illustrator 2022” can’t be opened. -1703

with the latest Photoshop and Illustrator 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Maria23681824sa6v,

Thanks for reaching out. As mentioned above in the correct answer and topic title, this issue has been addressed with macOS update v12.3.1. Would you mind updating macOS to v12.3.1 or later and confirming if this resolved the issue for you or not?

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am on Monterey 12.7 and have started having this issue with most recent up date to Illustrator.

Can you please advise a solution?

Regards Ammon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links above don't help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Ammon253293457gda,

If you're facing issues with Adobe Illustrator after a recent update, I recommend taking the following steps:

• Update to the Latest Version: Make sure you are using the latest version of Adobe Illustrator. The latest version is 28.0. Check if there are any updates available and install them.

• Update macOS: If you're using macOS Monterey 12.7, please update to Ventura or Sonoma and see if that helps.

• Preferences Reset: If you're still experiencing issues, consider resetting your Illustrator preferences. Here's how to do it:

• Close Illustrator.
    • Hold down Shift+Option+Command while starting Illustrator.
    • A dialog will appear asking if you want to delete the Adobe Illustrator Settings file. Confirm and let Illustrator start with default preferences.
  • Check for Plug-ins: Sometimes, third-party plug-ins can cause issues. Disable any third-party plug-ins and see if that resolves the problem.

Let us know how it goes.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines