• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Every Menu option is greyed out Illustrator 2020

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a macOS 10.15.1 I switched from a chrome tab back to the illustator tab and then I suddenly couldn't do anything. I couldn't deselect my current selection, I couldn't select something else, I couldn't zoom in or out basically, I couldn't use any commands or do anything. All the options from the toolbar were greyed out, seen below. I temporarily fixed it by closing adobe illustrator using the red x button and saving it but the same bug just kept on happening and I have to restart illustrator every 5 minutes.

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 5.54.34 PM.png

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope the issue has been resolved by the steps shared by Monika. In case if you are still facing the issue, you can also try resetting the preferences by following the steps below:

• Close Illustrator.
  • Click on the Finder icon on the dock, choose Go on the top> Go To Folder.
  • In the Go To Folder dialog box, type "~/Library". Click Go.
  • Open the Preferences Folder > rename the Illustrator  24 Settings folder to Illustrator  24 Settings folder.old
  • Under Prefere

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome interferes with basically anything. Try and shut it down. You might need to restrt Illustrator, but keep Chrome turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope the issue has been resolved by the steps shared by Monika. In case if you are still facing the issue, you can also try resetting the preferences by following the steps below:

• Close Illustrator.
  • Click on the Finder icon on the dock, choose Go on the top> Go To Folder.
  • In the Go To Folder dialog box, type "~/Library". Click Go.
  • Open the Preferences Folder > rename the Illustrator  24 Settings folder to Illustrator  24 Settings folder.old
  • Under Preferences, Open Adobe folder and rename Adobe Illustrator folder to Adobe Illustrator.old
  • Go back to library->open caches->rename  com.adobe.illustrator to com.adobe.illustrator.old
  • Go back to library->open application support-> open adobe->rename the Illustrator  24 folder to Illustrator  24 folder.old

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this same problem after updating to 24.2.3.  Deleting all of those prefs solved it.  Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same issue but I was using Opera, not Chrome. I couldn't save anything. Deleted the prefs and force quit illustrator. Glad it seems to be working again but I lost all my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please agree that Adobe bugs are not solved by blaming web browsers??? Can we also agree that users should not have to destroy their own work by force quitting or deleting all of their preferences on a regular basis? Wasn't the entire point of forcing people to adopt creative cloud to supply more stable and less bug ridden software?

I am experiencing this same issue where every menu item is greyed out, I can't select or unselect anything, and my keyboard inputs are useless. But I can still manually scroll with the scrollbar and switch tabs to other Illustrator files, and can click on layers despite not being able to do anything with those layers (meaning the entire application is not frozen).

Adobe, which enjoys an absolute excess of profits while maintaining a monopoly on the creative industry, needs to do better at fixing bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue just now and I thought I've lost all my unsaved work. Luckily I discovered that when you try to close the document by clicking on the "x" on the document tab then it prompts you to save the document before closing it. And then I force quit the Illustrator and reopen my documents.

I hope it will work and save some frustration to everyone else too.

Cheers,

Tanel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tanel, you just saved my complex illustration! I tried everything else I could find online, but clicking the X brought up the Save dialog. Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue. Nothing happens when I click on anything to select or deselect, and all menu items are greyed out (screenshot).

I can't close the app wihtout force quitting, and I'd rather not need to do that on this powerful machine that I have with lots of memory.

Illustrator shoudl be able to do more than an hour of work without suddenly crashing!

PS. it has been "saving" for 15 minutes now. >(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps some open dialog box hidden somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first thing I checked for. No open dialogs, and closing floating toolbars likewise had no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does it work when you boot into Safe Mode?

You can also contact Customer Care and have them take a look at it: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

checkout the dialog box. do you have a second monitor?

Reset the workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No open dialog box, no second monitor. However today I noticed that this happens whenever the floating "ad" for generative text shows up, there is suddenly a floating toolbar I didn't want, and when I click "hide toolbar" it is hidden, but all menus remain greyed out and the file won't save, illustrator is unresponsive. 

I do keep checking for hidden dialog boxes using command+` but nothing shows up. 

This new "feature" sure is intrusive!

BTW I am using vector shapes and text in my file, really nothing fancy at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines