• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

fill and stroke lines trying to cut when exported to cutter making my design cut twice.

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haing a issue with illustrator turning fill and stroke lines to cut lines so it ends up cutting twice if i send it as just a fill no stroke it cuts once if i send it as a stroke line no fill it cuts once if i send it as fill and stroke it tries to cut twice and yes i have the stroke set to center of the line and yes i have tried flatten transparency.

never had this issue before updating to the new version seems like updates keep breaking things and when they do we should be able to bill adobe for our lost time where we are paying for a correctly working sofeware.

if someone knows how to fix this that would be great.

fill no stroke.JPGstroke no fill.JPG

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it worked before the update, I would first check for a driver update for your cutter.

You can also install the previous version:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

and report the problem here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry should of said already tried installing the old version and cutter has newest driver and cutter program seems like an output issue when sending to cutter threw plugin for illustrator maybe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said: "never had this issue before updating to the new version"

If going back to the version before the update does not work, there may be more changes in your system causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload the file you are sending to the cutter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with the vinyl cutting plugin you're using within Illustrator. But generally speaking any vinyl cutting operations should be done using vector artwork that has only a fill and no strokes or vice versa. Objects with both fills and strokes will likely be double cut since the software is seeing two duplicate paths sitting on top of each other. Various "CAS" applications like Flexi or SignLab may import EPS files exported from Illustrator with the line strokes expanded with paths running inside and outside the primary path. Obviously that wouldn't do well in a vinyl cutter either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bobby thanks for the message i have been dioing this for over 10 years now and never had this happen to me before.

then i up graded to the new version and it wont support winplot which is what i use with my summa S2T75 cutter and summa says to use go sign now as winplot is no loger going to be upgraded to work with adobe.

always had stroke and fills in my designs before and never any issue cutting twice if i had the stroke set to center.

i did notice last night that if i use and old version on adobe and export to winplot it sends it in eps format and the new cutting fostware exports it was a pdf and i fugured out to turn off create acrobat layers from top-level layers as i was getting everything in the design trying to cut not just what was set to show in the layers.

but still get the double cut lines if i have a item filled and stroked. so anoying wish they would stop changing things for chage sake. but i guess nothing would get better if they didnt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That sounds like a real pain. If I was dealing with the same circumstance I'd probably create a separate cut-only EPS file to prevent the double cuts or the software trying to cut other unintended objects. That's another reason which makes me appreciate the software we have in our shop now versus what we used previously.

We have multiple licenses of Flexi and one of EnRoute for production work, such as straight vinyl cutting or routing. Roland VersaWorks was our shop's first print/cut RIP solution (back in the mid 2000's). It was very picky over what kinds of artwork it would print and cut. If there were any clipping masks present in a EPS or PDF file the cut lines would not appear at all. That forced me to either edit the vector artwork to eliminate the clipping masks or rasterize it into a flattened, high-res pixel-based image in order to get a cut line to activate. VersaWorks would print the entire artboard in a PDF. So that was another factor to work around. Hopefully Roland fixed those limitations in VersaWorks within the past several years. I don't have to worry about any of that nonsense using Onyx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines