• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient colors disappear in PDF file

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a yellow gradient on an Illustrator CC project. When I save it as a PDF file the color is not there, just a white space. How can I save the color in PDF?

No problem saving as ai file.

Thanks,

Mary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

No need to change color mode, just change the color type of any Spot RGB color swatches that are used in the gradient to Process.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

The disappearing of colors seems to happen when Process RGB colors are used together with Spot RGB colors in a gradient.

A gradient with RGB Spot colors seems to work fine.

Actually all colors are still there and appear when Overprint Preview is turned on in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Finder / mac preview. (I'm assuming this is the same my client will be using to view it). 

I guess I could rasterize the sketch but that kind of defeats the purpose of doing it in Illustrator.

By @mariak4932866

Apple Preview cannot be trusted with anything. So maybe you should report this to Apple, because there's nothing Adobe can change about Apple's code.

You could instruct your customer to download Acrobat Viewer, which is free.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the gradient actually created in Illustrator or is it embedded from Photoshop? What quality did you use? Did you use the High Quality or Press Quality settings? Try it using the PDF/X-4 as the standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you saved me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, I’m a newbie. I created the gradient in Illustrator. Where can I check the quality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you save as an Adobe PDF you will get the Save Adobe PDF dialog window. The top pull-down menu next to "Adobe PDF preset:" will have all of the quality settings. The "Standard:" area is where you'd pick PDF/X4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes there is no such error saving gradient in pdf file all is posssible...thanks

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn’t work. I used PDFX/4:2008

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

share your ai file i check it and tell you what is problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi issue is your document color mode is rgb please change it cmyk then it will be there just use illustrator defualt pdf options....thanks

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pBU_mczVNpVt5yupBLSWP8DIDjSHBvXi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect!  Works just fine.  Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a bug.

The color that disappears is an RGB Spot color used in a gradient.

I do not know why anybody would use an RGB spot color.

The color is still visible when you fill an object with it and you save a PDF, it only disappears in gradients.

When you change the RGB spot color to an RGB process color it becomes visible in the PDF, no need to change color mode.

It is not an Illustrator bug, InDesign does the same when you create a gradient with an RGB spot color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no idea how tricky color modes could be. I’ll study that. I’m making a logo for myself that will be used in print and on the web.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't work, converting to cmyk conpletely changes the colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to change color mode, just change the color type of any Spot RGB color swatches that are used in the gradient to Process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the final answer, you helped me a lot, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The disappearing of colors seems to happen when Process RGB colors are used together with Spot RGB colors in a gradient.

A gradient with RGB Spot colors seems to work fine.

Actually all colors are still there and appear when Overprint Preview is turned on in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and how do I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whay is not clear from the discussion above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue despite checking that my color mode is cmyk, I'm only using process colors and I exported using the aforementioned settings. And all gradients come out blank. I'm at a loss..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you using to view the PDF? What System are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finder / mac preview. (I'm assuming this is the same my client will be using to view it). 

I guess I could rasterize the sketch but that kind of defeats the purpose of doing it in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @mariak4932866

Apple Preview cannot be trusted with anything. So maybe you should report this to Apple, because there's nothing Adobe can change about Apple's code.

You could instruct your customer to download Acrobat Viewer, which is free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the answer for me, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recent versions of Mac OS have a problem with Apple Preview and Freeform Gradients. Rasterizing the gradient part in Illustrator at a sufficient resolution could be a workaround. And don't forget to report it to Apple, it still works fine in Preview in macOS Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines