• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Outline view is not working with gradient mesh!

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, so I am doing a project for my graphic design class and I am trying to do this lemon and the picture below shows that the lemon is not changing for View to Outline. I am supposed to be editing this lemon with gradient mesh and am following the exact steps of the book. I even changed both templates to be two separate layers like someone on adobe community suggested and it is still not working. Does anyone know what could be wrong or missing please? The goal is for the regular picture of the lemon to be shown while on the gradient mesh and while the color is there below.

Thanks everyone! 

Help for lemon.PNG

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The top layer with the mesh should be a normal layer. The bottom layer with the image should be a template layer (the bottom layer should not be in outline view)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok! 

So the bottom layer is a template layer, and they want it to be changed in the outline view mode with the gradient mesh. Below is how it is supposed to look like when I click the outline view. Step 3 is the one I am on.

How it is supposed to look like.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Annabelle,

I believe that you have over-complicated your setup. My guess is that something in steps 1 and 2 was not clear to you. I will attempt to explain how to fix the setup.

1. In the Layers panel cmd/ctrl-click the eye icon to the left of Layer 3. This will make the lemon image visible on the artboard.
2. Click the disclosure arrow to the left of Lemon [which is a sub-layer, and not the image itself]. This will reveal and allow access to the image in the Layers panel.
3. Click and hold on the image in the Layers panel and drag it upward until Layer 3 is highlighted, then release.
4. Click on the sub-layer Lemon to highlight it, then click the trash can icon at lower right to delete.
5. Double-click Layer 3 and make it a template layer with whatever dimming percentage you may prefer.
6. Double-click Layer 1 and turn off the Template setting.
7. With nothing selected or highlighted go to View menu > Outline of press cmd/ctrl-Y.

You may then proceed to Step 4 in your instruction book (clicking individual mesh points with the Direct Selection tool); however, in Step 5 I think you will find it necessary to shift-click with the Eyedropper tool to pick up the colors. You will need to return to Preview mode (cmd/ctrl-Y) to see the results of your color selection.

If this is not clear, or if I have goofed, please let us know and I or someone else will try to straighten it out for you.

Thanks,
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annabelle, Hi.

To add to what has already been said, when working with Gradient Meshes, I often find it helpful to view in a second window, Preview mode. (Top menu, Window>New Window)

This way as you recolor, you can view your work in real time.

K

Screen Lemon explain.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. This is a habit I have never acquired, and need to work on. Thanks.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines