• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I turn this logo into a vector?

Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would appreciate some help in order to make this whole name and gear image into a vector so that I can just add it to a sign that I am making if anyone can help.

mark_power_auto.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may redraw it with Illustrator's various drawing tools (Pen tool, Circle Tool, Rectangle tool etc.) if you need very precise and clean results.

Or you can use Illustrator's automatic Image Trace tool to get a basic version and then use Illustrator's drawing tools to fine-tune it.

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version cc 2016 w/ 2017 update. I am not sure how to do this though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that mean that you don't know how to use Illustrator's basic drawing tools at all?

Or does it mean something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kurt it means that it has been a while since I have used the basic drawing tools and also when I did use Illustrator there was not an option for Image Trace. I am starting fresh again. I have to get this sign done for a job that has been presented to me at my workplace this past Friday. So I am not sure how I would go about turning this image logo into a vector so I can add it to my sign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Justin Seeley has a title on lynda.com on Image Trace

https://www.lynda.com/Design-tutorials/Using-Image-Trace-panel/370378/412137-4.html

If you have never been a member you can get your first 10 days free.

There are other titles on the Pen tool

https://www.lynda.com/Illustrator-tutorials/Illustrator-CC-Essential-Training-2015/370378-2.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have scaned image with hight resolution or photo from modern digital camera you can try to trace this image and convert to vector.

I'm not sure traced image will be exact but you can try.

It's simple

Start with Place your image into ilustrator document

Select your image and use Image trace command to choose one of method for trace.

You can also use ImGe Trace Panel (small buton ot to options menu) and then adjust settings.

You can also use Ignore White command avaible when you go to Advanced options in Image Trace Panel

If you are happy just click Expand and your image now is vector

Be sure your image is high resolution

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Image Trace and you will ikely loose a client:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-22 um 14.49.35.png

The best thing is: to do this properly you don't even need to touch the pen tool. Just lines, strokes, ellipses. Strokes need to be expanded, then some shapebuilding with live paint or the shaper builder tool. Identify the font (some flavour of Eurostyle, badly spaced and distorted and you're done.

15 minutes or less

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-22 um 14.49.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Monica — ImageTrace is not a magic bullet, and this artwork is not a good candidate. But do watch the tutorial and give it a try and then you will know for yourself. You do need to spin open the Advanced section and use those settings. If you know Illustrator, it is faster and you will get better results if you start this one from scratch. Monica is giving you good advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a print screen of what I am doing so far everyone. I have used the line segment tool to make lines around the first shape and need to know if I do something to make all the lines connect and make that shape so I can fill it with the red color or what I have to do to make this first shape for the vector

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make sure that the lines at least touch, but better they cross.

In the first round just draw all the lines and shapes.

Afterwards take the live-paint tool and then fill the areas in-between the lines and shapes.

You can then still make corrections.

How to create and work with Live Paint groups in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just use the Pen tool. Your first shape can be drawn as a closed path with just 6 clicks. All the other shapes with a similar number of clicks. No hassle with connecting segments afterwards.

The gear can be drawn with a circle and some duplicated and rotated rectangles.

For this task I would never use any kind of Live Paint techniques. Of course, one can complicate things if it is desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt Gold schrieb:

For this task I would never use any kind of Live Paint techniques. Of course, one can complicate things if it is desired.

building this with single shapes helps to keep widths and heights of similar shapes consistent. Especially those of vertical shapes. For the horizontal ones smart guides will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do my line segments that make the first three shapes look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one to the far right does not look exactly vertical (I would check that). Also: you need two lines there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is the eliptical shape the way it's supposed to be? I think I also fixed the line on the far right but I'm not sure. Can you tell me if I have the two lines now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks vertical to me.

I'd say that there is a short horizontal segment on the P, so the circle needs to be a little smaller.

Also I would compare the width of all shapes (positive and negative in all letters. You can just copy the shapes over and see if it matches. This will make it look cleanly.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-23 um 00.08.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the horizontal green line where the bottom of the elliptical needs to be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it looks like that should be the case. Also: there is a short straight horizontal segment and then the curve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika can you maybe show me what you mean by the short straight horizontal segment?

Also when I go to save as to put this on my computer it saves as a SVG file. Will I be able to open this again to work on it without any problems?

Thank you for all your assistance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-23 um 12.21.51.png

I'm referring to the two lines in magenta.

You should be able to File > Save as and then select AI

It's the best format for your work file.

You can save an SVG in a way that it's fully editable, but that does not apply to the default settings.

The default settings are not exact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika

How do I do the two curve shapes inside the P? I am not sure where the stroke option is. I thought that was just used to create and effect in text. Is that the one you are talking about? Otherwise what and where is the tool that I use?

Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created by drawing a circle through the center of each curve shape. Then cut this circle to get the path. Then applied a real thick stroke and round caps.

When you're finished with that, use Object > Path > Outline stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and that is how to make those two curves inside the P? Now how do I do that exactly? I'm sorry to be clueless but could you make me a step-by-step visual?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create  a circle

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-24 um 18.16.22.png

Cut circle (there are a couple of options, e.g. the scissors tool). If you don't have a clue about cutting vector paths, please read the documentation

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-24 um 18.16.46.png

Apply round caps

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-24 um 18.16.55.png

Then outline stroke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines