• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can you distort text without perspective effects?

Contributor ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I apply free distort, it's always trying to simulate perspective, which I don't want. Sometimes we just want text to fit into a certain shape.

distort.jpg

How can I avoid this?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Try using Effects >> Disort & Trasfomr >> Free Distort. HWiel nto perfect as seems the right end is a little wider on the stem of teh "T", might be good enough for you.

MikeGondek_0-1670948346638.png

MikeGondek_1-1670948408371.png

Sounds to me like you are using the transform tool and adding CTRL Alt while distorting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the bottommost option in the free distort panel or with modifier keys: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/scaling-shearing-distorting-objects.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but have you tried this, or did you just look in the manual? The reason I'm asking here is because the manual is not helpful. I want to know from people who have experience of this tool.

Whatever I try, the scaling is causing a perspective effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot know that, but I am writing books about Illustrator. I have written a manual.

And I have actually tried this out for you as well.

What's important: When using the free transform tool on text, it can't be live text. It needs to be outlined first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the result of the free transform / distort tool. Either I have forgotten how to do this, or Illustrator has changed something:

Screenshot294.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator hasn't changed at least not as long as I know it. Here is a screenshot I have just taken in version CS3

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-13 um 16.48.26.png

Use an envelope instead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your time. However, the result you have posted is still doing a perspective distortion. The only difference is that in your example, the eye-level is now level with the top of the text. The first T is fattened, and the T on the right side of the graphic is still getting squashed. I want to chnage just the vertical scale, not the horizontal scale.

I may be mistaken, but I do not recall illustrator baving like this when I used it to develop assets for a computer game in 2006 and 2008.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be mistaken, but I do not recall illustrator baving like this when I used it to develop assets for a computer game in 2006 and 2008.

By @JasonDD210

2006 and 2008 was version CS2 and CS3. The screenshot is from version CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using Effects >> Disort & Trasfomr >> Free Distort. HWiel nto perfect as seems the right end is a little wider on the stem of teh "T", might be good enough for you.

MikeGondek_0-1670948346638.png

MikeGondek_1-1670948408371.png

Sounds to me like you are using the transform tool and adding CTRL Alt while distorting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's exactly what I wanted. Thanks. It's for a ships telegraph dial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Object >> envelope distort  >> make with top object could have been the ideal solution. But as you see from my result below is even much worse. Adobe made an effort to address this with Object >> Envelope Distort >> Make with Mesh, but this has been problematic for over a decade on type distortions or similar strong linear edges. Playing with the mesh handles is time consuming back and forth, but once in a blue moon and get you an acceptable result

After many years of using Illustrator, I find making near perfect type distortions to require much time in manual adjusting to get an acceptable result. So my estimates are high when I need to do this for final art.

MikeGondek_0-1670949096211.png

There used to be a photographic method  up until late 80s using distortion wheels that could do this. While that also involved a dark room with a large wheel and film/chemicals andmultiple attempts, I felt I could get a better result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So my estimates are high when I need to do this for final art."

Mine too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines