• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I delete fonts in Illustrator?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have fonts showing up in Illustrator (Noto Sans Javanese, Noto Sans Kannada, etc.) that are all symbols and I want to delete them from my font library. Unfortunately, Font Book is telling me that these fonts cannot be removed. These fonts are also not showing up in my cc typekit so I can't "deactivate" them. I don't understand... why would these completely useless fonts be restricted from being removed? There are like 30 of them and it's beyond frustrating having to scroll past them all when I'm looking for a different font. Not to mention the load time my font library takes... Adobe is telling me to remove the fonts that I don't use... but is not actually letting me remove the fonts I don't use. SO FRUSTRATING! Please help!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

can you confirm the version of the software and operating system you are using? (I assume as Administrator)

That's why I am using a Font management System (like FontAgent) to turn off a lot of nuisance fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest version of CC and OS Catalina. I am not an admin as this is a work computer, but I can have my IT department install anything needed to help with this issue. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, as illustrator by itself is not a font manager, it only shows up the fonts installed into your system, you must try to find manually that fonts in your library and system folders as you can see in the picture attached, I created a folder named Fonts disabled and moved all that fonts that I don't need, Of course, there are fonts that can not be removed because they are used by the system and other applications to work.

fonts.png

fonts2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Currently there is no support other than removing it from macOS.

These fonts are located in the "/ System / Library / Fonts / Supplemental /" folder and cannot be deleted while Catarina is running.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/how-can-i-remove-the-fonts-display-as-a-long-rectangles-in-...

If you are aware that there is a risk, delete only the fonts in the Supplemental folder.
It is safer not to delete "NotoSansArmenian.ttc, NotoSansKannada.ttc, NotoSansMyanmar.ttc, NotoSansOriya.ttc, NotoSerifMyanmar.ttc".

I am requesting a correction because it is the same with Photoshop, but it is not yet supported.

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

did you find a way to resolve this problem?

I have the same issue.

can't delete this Noto font from anywhere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These fonts are nothing to do with Illustrator. They are included with MacOS, in effect a part of your Mac. So you see them in Illustrator like all your MacOS fonts. Apple have set it up so you can't delete them easily, and it may be unsafe to do so. Anyway, if you don't like the situation, Apple are the people to talk to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im facing the same issue and every month i try again to solve as its very annoying

i can understand that there are few fonts(5-6 noto fonts) used by system, but the problem when you open illustrator or photoshop there are maybe 100 or more 

if you access fonts folders at library you cannot find any of them, where to find them and where to delete them, this is too much annoying 

653A0AF0-9FA7-41D2-A301-57A43775A191.png

 

44E45B4F-1CD8-4355-9006-58B54E1C85A3.png

 

9BDEAAE7-4E48-4618-B6E2-F7635AC46210.png

 

ABD0A586-0E5D-404C-A164-48EA0B1EC9F2.png

noto fonts and cannot be used and very ugly i hope somebody can help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to read this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251055722

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish AT LEAST we couls choose not to see this anoying symbols in Illustrator... having the same doubt how to solve it here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Marilia Spera Art  schrieb:

I wish AT LEAST we couls choose not to see this anoying symbols in Illustrator... having the same doubt how to solve it here!

Apple installed these fonts for whatever reason. Maybe complain to them. Please read the complete thread. There might be font managers available that can hide those fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All we need is a toggle show/hide system fonts. Can Adobe tell the difference? Illustrator should be able to tell where they are loading from, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could be a feature request to post in the Illustrator User Voice forum. The rival CorelDRAW application does this kind of filtering in its fonts menu, but the functions are tied into their Font Manager application (which has its own pros and cons). I don't know if a font management app would be necessary in Illustrator's case. But Adobe would probably have to use different methods on OSX and Windows to filter the differences between System Fonts and fonts added by the user or other applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
8 hours ago 8 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the best way or better to say the only way is to make a favorite list of fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines