Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

How to add a auto-sized rectangle around text box?

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The orange box is a cut line. I initially add the box around the text manually and but it took me so much time to change the size of the box if I want to increase the font size. I followed the steps from this post (https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/19824/illustrator-auto-sized-text-box-with-shaded-...), but the text became transparent when I selected Effect > Convert to shape > Rectangle. I don't know how to keep the text in black with the orange box around at the same time. I would like to keep the height in 0.35cm and the width should be the length of the text + 0.25cm. Does anyone know how to create an auto-sized rectangle around the text box :(?

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 1.46.40 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-06 at 1.54.26 pm.png

TOPICS
How to, Tools, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021
coye, Whatever is described, you can: 1) With the normal Type Tool create the text as live Type; you may wish to choose Align Center in the Window>Paragraph palette (bundled with the Character palette where you set the font and size); 2) In the Window>Appearance panel click Add New Fill, then drag that fill down below Characters and click it to have it selected; it will be highlighted; 3) Set the desired background colour, you may use the Window>Color palette or something else; 4) Effect>Con...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

coye,

Whatever is described, you can:

1) With the normal Type Tool create the text as live Type; you may wish to choose Align Center in the Window>Paragraph palette (bundled with the Character palette where you set the font and size);
2) In the Window>Appearance panel click Add New Fill, then drag that fill down below Characters and click it to have it selected; it will be highlighted;
3) Set the desired background colour, you may use the Window>Color palette or something else;
4) Effect>Convert to Shape>Rectangle (or Rounded Rectangle), then Click Relative and set the width and height to be added to the live Type; you may try different values in Preview to see how it works.

This will give you the text as live Type so you can edit it (you may add text, even more lines, hence the Paragraph choice), and it will stay centred on the background, and the background will adapt to the text.

Edit: I just had a closer look at your screenshot, and it seems that the crucial part is to perform step 2) in full.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines