• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert sublayers to layers in illustrator and keep the name

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in illustrator and have files that have 20+ layers all named specifically.  I am working with another piece of software that is integrated with illustrator that sends me back an illustrtator file.  When I open that file the layers have been compressed.

Instead of there being 20+ layers, there is only Layer 1.  All of my 20+ layers have been converted to sublayers.

Is there a way to convert Sublayers to Layers without loosing the layer names.  I need to keep all layer names the same.  That is key.  

Release to layers does do the conversion, but the names are lost.  They come out as layer 1, layer 2, etc.

Any thoughts ?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

It would have been pretty useful if you had mentioned your saving to .svg at the beginning of your request.

However, I guess you already know that in the Save as SVG Options dialog there is an option called Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities.

You may check that and do some tests.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may select (highlight) all sublayers in the Layers palette and drag them above the main (parent) Layer 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am not able to drag them above the main parent layer.  I get a circle with a cross through it as I drag above the layer.  That would be an easy solution but it doesn't seem to work.

Am I doing something wrong ? Any other idea's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, then you are probably not talking about real sublayers (technically speaking).

You are talking about single objects inside the main layer, aren't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 9.27.40 AM.png

Here is a quick screen shot of my layers panel. I set up a quick test layout.  Layer 1 is there and then Test 1, 2, 3, 4 are all sublayers or atleast I thought they were.  Again, I want to keep the names Test 1, 2, 3, 4 and make them layers.

or

The other option would be if I could past into these sublayer from a another .ai drawing that is in layers.  Either would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are real sublayers and dragging them above Layer 1 should definitely work.

You will have to be a bit careful. Just drag until a blue horizontal line appears above Layer 1. Then release the mouse button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They might be renamed groups. I don't see anything to differentiate the two in the layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck with dragging those sublayers to make them into layers.  Illustrator won't allow, I keep getting the cirle with a cross through.  I don't think these are groups either.  I created a super simple new file with only 4 shapes just to test this out.  No groups.

Any other thoughts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to use this options for your task. That can help

To merge items into a single layer or group, hold down Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) and click the names of the layers or groups that you want to merge. Alternatively, hold down Shift to select all listings in between the layer or group names you click. Then, select Merge Selected from the Layers panel menu.

Why can't I merge layers in Illustrator?
Objects can't be merged with other objects. To flatten layers, click the name of the layer into which you want to consolidate the artwork. Then select Flatten Artwork from the Layers panel menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selected or highlighted main layers and sublayers are marked with a tiny triangle at the top-right corner of the layer entry. Groups and single objects don't have that label. You may check that.

sub_layers_to_main_layers.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for showing that.  I think the issue is that I am saving my illustrator file as an .svg format.  The .svg format is what is allows me to share the file in the other collaboration software.  I can't leave it as an .ai.  What you showed me with sublayers works in .ai, but not in .svg.  It's very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think perhaps SVG doesn't support sublayers. If you create sublayers, save as SVG, close and reopen the file, they become groups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would have been pretty useful if you had mentioned your saving to .svg at the beginning of your request.

However, I guess you already know that in the Save as SVG Options dialog there is an option called Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities.

You may check that and do some tests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget to select the Parent Layer, go to the menu and click RELEASE LAYERS (SEQUENCE).  Then you can select the sublayers and drag them above the parent line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to keep the sublayer names in the new main layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This right here is the actrual correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is - but if anyone at adobe reads this: i had to create 198 countries manually - since i cant afford geolayers3. When releasing parent layer, every country is now named layer number x. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is - but if anyone at adobe reads this: i had to create 198 countries manually - since i cant afford geolayers3. When releasing parent layer, every country is now named layer number x. 

By @Lars284458588s2h

Is this a problem you need solved? Or a feature request? Or do you just want to add some information to this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines