• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to crop(not scale) images in illustrator without a clipping mask?

Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I was able to scale the sides of the bounding box without the object losing it's position (sort of like a crop), but then i forgot the command. what's the accurate way to decrease the sides of an image without changing the position of the image?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

guys I finally found out how I did it. It did include clipping mask   ..I first selected the image using the selection tool and then I went to object>clipping mask and pulled a single side of using the selection tool to make a crop:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try reading this...

Crop images in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately my illustrator version doesn't have the crop image option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you let us know what version you are working with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 21.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any reason for not updating?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Simply open a image in illustrator and select the image by move tool and then in the controls bar click on crop image.Screenshot_5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately bitmap cropping isn't an option in  Ai version 21.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Yes. But in this Ai version 21.0.0 We can crop it to by creating a clipping mask and then using the direct selection tool we can crop a bitmap image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the original question, they have asked to do it without using clipping mask..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not sure I correctly understand your question. If you are working with an older version of Illustrator, image crop isn’t an option. Your only choice is to “sort of crop” with a bounding box as you describe it. Cropping with a bounding box sounds like a clipping mask to me, unless you are confusing Illustrator and InDesign. If you are trying to crop the image with the “bounding box” or clipping mask in Illustrator, try using the direct select tool instead of the selection tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use an Opacity Mask, but that's still a mask. Neither that nor the Clipping Mask changes the position of the image.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

guys I finally found out how I did it. It did include clipping mask   ..I first selected the image using the selection tool and then I went to object>clipping mask and pulled a single side of using the selection tool to make a crop:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's Great!

But in the Question you ask without clipping mask. and now you did with clipping mask to make it crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's my mistake i couldnt recall since i am still a beginner  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dohb,

As I (mis)understand it, you are masking the image rather than cropping it: the left part of the image is still there, only hidden because it is outside the Clipping Path, as you can see by the box with the cross.

Cropping actually gets rid of the outlying part(s).

So masking is reversible and sometimes troublesome when the outlying parts are unwanted/get in the way, whereas cropping is irreversible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines