Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export JPG file without automatic file name extension -01?,

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have to save my file in .ai and .jpg format with the same name. Whenever I export the file into JPG,it automatically adds an extension -01 for the file. For example "file.ai" and "file-01.jpg". How do I stop Adobe Illustrator from doing this?  Because then I have to go to every JPG file again and delete the -01, which wastes a lot of time when the quantity is big.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

This is “easy” to handle using Adobe Bridge’s Batch Rename tool using a regular expression based string substitution, to remove the hyphen and one or more digits at only the end of the filename:

rename1.png

rename2.png

However one has to be careful not to create duplicate files in the rename (as shown above with 4 unique named files turning into a single name).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use adobe bridge to batch rename if i have many images

Batch renaming files in Adobe Bridge | Creative Cloud User

hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for helping!

This would be helpful if I have many files with the same name. But I have to créate many files with different names in two formats (and it's the two formats that have the same name). So I would still have to rename every file by hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is still interest I would like to explore the options for a solution. I would need to have some precise examples of the filenames and locations of files etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck "Use artboards" option.

This might cause other issues of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as long as there no other artwork outside the artboards that will work. i believe is when things are left out/around artboards that illustrator will want to take that along for the ride and append it to other graphics...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! This works, but then the format of the artboard changes. I need it to stay the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Apple OS you can select all the image and right click and rename them. If not you can use it on Bridge or rename the art boards that will make it easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is “easy” to handle using Adobe Bridge’s Batch Rename tool using a regular expression based string substitution, to remove the hyphen and one or more digits at only the end of the filename:

rename1.png

rename2.png

However one has to be careful not to create duplicate files in the rename (as shown above with 4 unique named files turning into a single name).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is a very late reply, but here's my answer to this.

Illustrator will ALWAYS append numbers to the end of exported file names if you check the "Use Artboards" option during saving. The only way to NOT have this happen is to uncheck this box.

Now, if you're like me and has extraneous design elements floating outside your main artboard for future use, my suggestion is to place these on a separate layer. Lock this layer and hide it when you're ready to export a copy of the main work. This way, you can name it whatever you want EVERY time without the offending appending number system tacked on at the end. Make sure the dialogue box for "Use Artboards" is still uncheck.

Illustrator will capture any and all currently visable elements whenever it exports. By moving extra designs onto a hidden layer when exporting, it won't "see" it and you can export only your main design.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the actual answer to this question. And as always, Adobe should be listening to these kinds of creative workarounds because if they really want to know what it's users need, its simple fixes like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be so nice and easy if Adobe could just add a little option that gives you the choice to omit the artboard name. I wouldn't even mind it it was unchecked by default so it would add it unless you check the box. Then once you check it, it becomes checked all the time so it remembers what you want. There is no issue with replacing files when you are exporting an ai file to a jpg. One won't replace the other so there is no need to add the name to the end. It is bothersome to have to go in and keep renaming my files all the time. Please, Adobe...fix this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

erghhh. I came here for an answer but it seems it's just an annoying adobe tid-bit. It would even be okay if when you click "use artboards" it added the -01 so you could take it off before you export it. It's so annoying and of zero use. I don't know any graphic designers that don't have work outside the artboard that they don't intend to be part of the export.

Adobe - Please listen to us and fix this annoyance we deal with daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's fine to express your opinions and suggestions here in this forum, but while there are a few Adobe staffers who show up here quite regularly, it's primarily just us users. If you want to communicate with Adobe about feature requests or comment about the software, please go to https://illustrator.uservoice.com/ where you can enter a request, search for existing requests that might be relevant, or vote for a request that might already express your wants. That is direct communication with the engineers who can effect changes to the software,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea why this problem exists. Adobe can be really incompetent when it comes to fixing small problems that have been around for years. 

The problem with unchecking use artboards is that it changes the dimensions of the final design. My solution is to create a rectangle shape around the edges of the artboard the same dimesions that I want my final file to be. I change the stroke and fill to none and then uncheck "use artboards."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why if you're using several artboards, still a problem. By now it seems that the only solution is to do a batch renaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess they listened to you: now (AI 26.4) when I export a single page, the page name or number is not added...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aware of a way to return back to the old way?  This is causing major hiccups in my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. There is so far no way to fix this problem(or is there anyway to fix this? HELP ME PEOPLE!!) and I was using artboard name for my work. This change costs also insane amout of work for me. Why Adobe still doesn't make an option to choose? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @5C45160 @erinniehenke @Alessio25486094bgh9,

Thanks for reaching out. I would like to inform you this is an intended change in the latest version of Illustrator to accommodate the request on this UserVoice (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/31723057-wh...).

The workaround is to rename the file name while exporting a specific artboard.

However, If you do not like this change, you may upvote this UserVoice (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/45508540-name-a...) and add your comment here.

Regards.

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines