• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a pattern into a compound path in AI

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am brand new to AI so please bear with me if this is a very simple question, but I just cannot figure it out. I have about 200 .eps black and white seamless patterns. I have added a few of them to the swatches area so I can fill shapes with my patterns. I can do that no problem. But what I want to do is make the finished patterned-filled shape into a compound path so I can save as an svg and import into my vinyl cutting software. Can anyone explain how I would do this?

[Moved from the generic Cloud forum to the Illustrator forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

If simply saving it as SVG does not work, do this:

1. Object>Expand
  2. Deselect all
  3. Select>Object>Clipping Mask
  4. Delete
  5. Select all
  6. Object>Flatten Transparency>Accept default settings (this will eliminate unwanted groups)
  7. Object>Compound Path>Make

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Object>Expand
  2. Deselect all
  3. Select>Object>Clipping Mask
  4. Delete
  5. Select all
  6. Object>Flatten Transparency>Accept default settings (this will eliminate unwanted groups)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2015 Mar 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving as an svg does not work. I just get the image without any cut lines (anchor points) in my outside software.

When I select Object>Clipping Mask, my only option is Make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the EPS patterns vector paths? An EPS may contain raster images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they are vector paths. As soon as I turn it into a pattern and add to my swatches, all the anchor nodes for the pattern go away when adding the pattern to a shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The paths do not show, but they are still there.

You need to expand the pattern first.

It would really help if you could show something (layers panel with objects visible needs to be in the screenshot) and tell us exactly step by step what you have tried already and what exactly does not work.

Please do also read the manual about expanding objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this issue the pattern expanded and there was now a path but on the whole board not just in the designScreenshot 2021-04-12 123341.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the EXACT same question and reason and the first piece of advice worked for me.  I didn't even need to do the final couple of steps.

THANK YOU for your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @ACP your tip did the trick!

Take a pen tool out of petty cash

—Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this, even five years later!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Object>Expand
  2. Deselect all ???
  3. Select>Object>Clipping Mask ???  Doesnt come up or we delete ourselfs
  4. Delete
  5. Select all
  6. Object>Flatten Transparency>Accept default settings (this will eliminate unwanted groups) made numerosu of groups

This does not work with Patterns with Vectors that are not flatten.  What is the best method to make a pattern work with Circuts Design space. I have done ghetto workarounds but why should it take 2 hours.

Process

make pattern on a square/or compound path 

If I have more then one layer, which objects when I try to merge, it is just doesn't work sometimes. 

HELP PLEASE, BEST METHOD!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create a new thread and show screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know thisd is really old but can anyone please elaborate on this answer for me? I am trying to do this very thing right now but these directions are too simplistic for a beginner and don't make sense to me. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@California Gold  schrieb:

I know thisd is really old but can anyone please elaborate on this answer for me? I am trying to do this very thing right now but these directions are too simplistic for a beginner and don't make sense to me. Thank you.

Please create a new thread and show what you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lattice pattern I have created in Illustrator. My vinyl artists needs to be able to change the color of the lattice in her software. When she tries to change the color it creates a solid filled rectangle rather than just changing he color of the lattice. I am working in illustrator CC2019 and I get the same result she does when I try to change the fill color from the fill color panel in the tool bar.

I tried following these steps but when I select my lattice and go to OBJECT - EXPAND is greyed out. However, I do have EXPAND APPEARANCE. Once I select EXPAND APPEARANCE, EXPAND then becomes available however following the rest of the steps doesn't yield what I need.  I need help figuring out how to get this in a format so she an take the EPS file and be able to change the fill on the lattice color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have these same 2 problems.

- I want to create a pattern that includes my own design pattern fills within it, but when I follow the steps above and get to delete clipping mask- the pattern is no longer constrained in my shape and it gets very  messy. I then have to pu the pattern behind and trim each one, which takes too much time.

- I also want to be able to change a pattern colour easily, but I find I have to go to the original drawing-> recolour artwork-> pattern-> make     for something that seems it should be so simple!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which problem exactly do you have? This thread is about SVG files.

And also: please show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I should be able to recolor a GD pattern without having to go through 40 steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select an object and fill it with a GD pattern.

Select Edit > Edit Colors > Recolor Artwork.

Change the colors and click OK to get a new GD pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apply any FX + delete the FX = Done..... Illustrator transforms the pattern into an object to apply the FX....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Select the objects filled with the pattern.
  • Object > Expand.  Check the Fill box, hit OK.
  • Double click the object to get into isolation mode (You'll be in iso mode for the next few steps).
  • Select > Object > Clipping Mask.  Manually deselect the outline of the object you're in using the regular selection (black) arrow.  Delete all the clipping masks that remain (should just be a ton of squares or something like that).
  • Select all, then, once again, deselect the outline of the object you're in using the black arrow.
  • Using the pathfinder, use the add filter to combine all the pattern's shapes into one shape.
  • Then, with the result still selected, make it a compound path (Ctrl/Cmd 8 or Object > Compound Path > Make).
  • Select all, then using the pathfinder again, use the crop filter.
  • Done.  (you can double click out of iso mode, select it and make it a compound path as well...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note... Adobe would be well served to make this a one-button command.  It's super useful...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi select the pattern, go to object in the menu bar<path<outline stroke

then go to object<expand

then object<ungroup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Atul Kashyap  schrieb:

Hi select the pattern, go to object in the menu bar<path<outline stroke

then go to object<expand

then object<ungroup

This does not work. Have you even tried it with a pattern?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines