Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to resize my Canvas in Illustrator

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2010 Jul 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

can anyone help me out. I would like to rezise my canvas in Illustrator and I dont know how to do that!

Why: I'de like to fit my AI design on to an other AI, real size object and the Illustrator canvas is to small to handle the design in a proper way. So my design is to large to fit the real obeject. the question is therefor how can I make my Canvas larger?

Hope for your support and help.

Thanks

Gert van de Cappelle

Views

1.3M

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Enthusiast , Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Hey, the Illy team are trying to sort out a bigger canvas, and they are looking for more details from those that will need it -

Workflows that need large canvas / artboard

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Here's a link to resize your Canvas (not artboard) in Illustrator.

Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 103 Replies 103
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't tell if this has been said , but what I do is...

File > Document Setup > General > Edit Artboard

From there I'm able to rescale

I'm using Illustrator CC 2016

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to seem silly but - I only 'know what I know..." which is why I'm here, to be better informed! Anyway, in thing to resize artboard, the message pops up "not possible to make artboard larger than canvas" which is why I asked before about "canvas size." What I'd like to do is this:

Make a new file to the size I need it to be. I can then work with that new format. But I'm stuck on the new cc 2017 in seeing how to over-ride the Presets, to make my own preset size for each one I need as the model version so to speak.

Does this make sense to anyone? hope so, need help. It is probably simple, the equivalent to "is it plugged in?"

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi integralcolor​ can you explain a bit more what you want to do? 

What size are you trying to make the new file, and what presets are you trying to override?  What kind of work are you doing?

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tomy-rex,

I am doing some textile design and the files have to be the right size for each item. For example, one thing is to be set as 18000 x 12300 px. Another would be 9000 x 25800.  Others are smaller. SO when I try to create a new .ai setup, the widest it allows me to do is 16000.  I'd thought that editing artboards would do it, as usual, but for some reason I get the message about not being able to make the artboard larger than the canvas (the 16000 width). That's what has been frustrating.  I can design it in the smaller version and of course import into pshop since it has to be that type of file ultimately, but ideally I would like to set it up the exact size initially and not have to enlarge or resize in pshop.

Does that answer your question? I suppose I may have to give up on this wish based on what I have seen posted by others.

thanks for asking-

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara,

I understand what you are trying to do.  Unfortunately, Illustrator has a "canvas" of about 225" x 225" dimensions, and artboards can not be bigger than this.

You have 2 options - either:

1. Create the artwork at a smaller scale, 1:2 or something easy, and then enlarge it in Photoshop
  2. The other workaround that may work for you is to create 2 artboards (pictured below), half-length as shown and put them end to end.  This works because artboards can go outside of the canvas, but they can't be bigger than the canvas.  You can then export the 2 artboards and stitch them back together in Photoshop.

Let me know if that works.  The canvas size limit is an annoying restriction with Illustrator, and one that has been requested to remove for years now, but until it changes we just have to work with it.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much, I will try this. Thanks for your prompt and detailed responses. The funny thing is, is that my final "product" when printed is not going to be more than 86" max dimension either way, and will vary from piece to piece depending on the actual final finished size. Yet, the requirement is often in pxls up to 25800 (one of the dimensions). Even when it's at 18000 that takes it way beyond the "227-inch" at 16000 px.  I guess that is confusing but I'm not going to lose sleep over it . I will try your method as an option.

Thanks

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, the Illy team are trying to sort out a bigger canvas, and they are looking for more details from those that will need it -

Workflows that need large canvas / artboard

Thanks!

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

I am Yogesh from the Illustrator team at Adobe.

We are exploring ways to provide a bigger canvas in Illustrator. Like any other feature, larger canvas has its own share of complexities, functional as well as performance, and we are looking for your feedback. We would like to hear your requirements *if you need larger canvas in your work*.

Please fill out the survey:

U2U Feedback on Larger Canvas Survey

Thanks,

Yogesh

Product Manager

Adobe Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yogesh,

I am Reuben, an Adobe Illustrator user. I need to make an artwork for a 20+ Feet hoarding. Illustrator doesn't allow the Artboard beyond 16 feet. Kindly help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read the rest of this topic? You can create a large canvas document up to 190 ft wide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE! this thread is 9 years!! yes 9 years old!!...

...and we (users) still don't have an option to change the canvas size in Illustrator!

What is going on????

Any chance this will be part of the next program update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was some development on it (ref: Yogesh's post above), but it stopped in 2017 and there has been no news since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are developments going on, but they are happening in the Illustrator Prerelease program. It's not permitted to discuss ongoing progress in a public forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm only referring to what we can infer from public posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I am trying to understand why one would need to increase the seemingly infinite canvas size on a vector image if you can just change the artboard size using the Artboard tool? I would rather we be able to precisely input the artboard width/height, and maybe there's an option for that. Anywho, doesn't the canvas size increase whenever you add or increase the size of the artboard(s)? The canvas seems infinite, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The canvas is 16383 points, or around 227 inches, square. You can't make an artboard larger than this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@toneloves indeed as mentioned in thread above the canvas in not infinite. It stops at 227 inch square. If i may, and i dont mean to be rude, it sounds like you have not tried it for yourself. It’s the best way to understand how it works.  

@dougaroberts and @stevewerner happy to hear. Just hope it won’t take another 9 years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense taken. I honestly hadn't tried it because I just didn't have the time or need. Instead, every project that's been that large, I've just reduced it proportionately since the artwork is entirely vector anyway. I simply zoom in if there was something requiring a high level of detail. It's worked absolutely flawlessly thus far. Maybe there are scenarios where reducing a vector exponentially won't do the job? I can't imagine though, but hey, what do I know? lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@toneloves yes, it's definitely the way to go to not have to run into the canvas limitation, and I have done it many times reducing the scale until I encountered issues dealing with parties who were not understanding the scaling part or get confused! (yes! it can happen, clients can be from another planet ). So I sometimes have to work at 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

toneloves, esther, others,

I've just reduced it proportionately since the artwork is entirely vector anyway.

There is one important aspect of this, namely the question of raster effects: it may be overlooked that many of the Effects are raster effects, and they have the resolution set in Effect>Document Raster Effects Settings.

As stated here,

How to apply effects in Illustrator

Raster effects are effects that generate pixels, rather than vector data. Raster effects include SVG Filters, all of the effects at the bottom section of the Effect menu, and the Drop Shadow, Inner Glow, Outer Glow, and Feather commands in the Effect > Stylize submenu.

So if you have vector artwork with raster effects, to get the required PPI at the final size, you will have to increase the Effect>Document Raster Effects Settings in the scaled document by the reverse scaling factor, 10 times higher if you use 1:10 and similar.

It works on all the raster effects in the document, including those created before your changing the setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can go to File then New. Before you create the new file change the Width and the Height to whatever you want.

That takes care of the Large canvas problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link to resize your Canvas (not artboard) in Illustrator.

Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not actually solve the issue at hand. The question is the resizing of a given Canvas. The solution just provided only scales the Artboard but does not affect the size of the Canvas. Adobe just declares that your artboard that you are looking at is actually a given size. 

Given its should be all vectors this is really fine but that does not solve the issue of a bigger Canvas. Which has different benefits. 

For instane if you make a new file with a width size of 129ft the program will make a artboard with the size and smak it in the middle. Now if you copy the Artboard and but that directly next to the First Artboard it will now be too long and hang off the canvas. This can be seen in the attached Screenshot. Forcing you to scale the 2 artboards until the can fit inside the canvas. So again not a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@franciscob1218  schrieb:

This does not actually solve the issue at hand. 

You cannot scale the canvas.

You need to create either a normal or a large canvas document.

If you do not like that, then please post a feature request or support an already existing one. https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have No Idea what you are talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines